Trade Deadline: Phillies continue to sell, deal Hunter Pence to Giants
|07.31.12 at 2:50 pm ET|
Hunter Pence was traded to the Giants on Tuesday, becoming the second Phillies outfielder to be dealt to the NL West on the same day. Philadelphia had already sent Shane Victorino to the Dodgers before Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline.
Pence is batting .271 with 17 home runs with the Phillies this season, a number that would lead the power-starved Giants. The 29-year-old two-time All-Star was acquired by the Phillies at the trade deadline last season from the Astros.
The Giants dealt outfielder Nate Schierholtz, minor league catcher Tommy Joseph and minor league pitcher Seth Rosin in exchange for Pence.
Schierholtz, who is batting .257 with five home runs this season, has spent all six years in the majors with the Giants.
With Carlos Ruiz turning 34 this offseason, Joseph could be the catcher of the future for the Phillies. The 21-year-old is batting .260 with eight home runs in 80 games this season with Double-A Richmond. The Giants selected Joseph in the second round of the 2009 draft.
Rosin, 23, is 2-1 with a 4.31 ERA in 34 games with High-A San Jose this season. The former fourth-round pick made has made five starts in those 34 appearances.
The Giants, who are tied with the Dodgers atop the NL West, are using the acquisition of Pence to keep pace with a very active Los Angeles front office at the trade deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates