Trade Deadline: Rangers move ahead of Dodgers, Yankees to acquire Ryan Dempster
|07.31.12 at 4:59 pm ET|
The speculation around Ryan Dempster finally came to an end just seconds before Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline. The Rangers swooped ahead of the Dodgers and Yankees to acquire the 35-year-old right-hander while sending two minor leaguers — third baseman Christian Villanueva and right-handed pitcher Kyle Hendricks — to Chicago.
Dempster is only 5-5 this season, but he has a 2.25 ERA and 83 strikeouts through 16 starts with the Cubs, who are sitting in fifth place in the NL Central. While the two-time All-Star never pitched a game with the Rangers in his 15-year career in the majors, he was originally selected by Texas in the third round of the 1995 draft.
The Rangers used this acquisition to help bolster a rotation that has been hurt by injuries this season. Neftali Feliz, who was moved to the rotation this season, is on the 60-day DL due to a sprained ligament in his right elbow. Texas also recently lost Colby Lewis to a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow that will keep him out until next season.
Villanueva, 21, has spent this season with High-A Myrtle Beach, where he was batting .285 with 10 home runs and 19 doubles in 100 games. Baseball America ranked Villanueva as the No. 100 prospect before 2012.
Like Villanueva, Hendricks has been playing in Myrtle Beach this season. The 22-year-old starter is 5-8 this season with a 2.82 ERA and 112 strikeouts in 20 starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies