Trade Deadline: Rangers move ahead of Dodgers, Yankees to acquire Ryan Dempster
|07.31.12 at 4:59 pm ET|
The speculation around Ryan Dempster finally came to an end just seconds before Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline. The Rangers swooped ahead of the Dodgers and Yankees to acquire the 35-year-old right-hander while sending two minor leaguers — third baseman Christian Villanueva and right-handed pitcher Kyle Hendricks — to Chicago.
Dempster is only 5-5 this season, but he has a 2.25 ERA and 83 strikeouts through 16 starts with the Cubs, who are sitting in fifth place in the NL Central. While the two-time All-Star never pitched a game with the Rangers in his 15-year career in the majors, he was originally selected by Texas in the third round of the 1995 draft.
The Rangers used this acquisition to help bolster a rotation that has been hurt by injuries this season. Neftali Feliz, who was moved to the rotation this season, is on the 60-day DL due to a sprained ligament in his right elbow. Texas also recently lost Colby Lewis to a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow that will keep him out until next season.
Villanueva, 21, has spent this season with High-A Myrtle Beach, where he was batting .285 with 10 home runs and 19 doubles in 100 games. Baseball America ranked Villanueva as the No. 100 prospect before 2012.
Like Villanueva, Hendricks has been playing in Myrtle Beach this season. The 22-year-old starter is 5-8 this season with a 2.82 ERA and 112 strikeouts in 20 starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester