Trade Deadline: Rangers move ahead of Dodgers, Yankees to acquire Ryan Dempster
|07.31.12 at 4:59 pm ET|
The speculation around Ryan Dempster finally came to an end just seconds before Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline. The Rangers swooped ahead of the Dodgers and Yankees to acquire the 35-year-old right-hander while sending two minor leaguers — third baseman Christian Villanueva and right-handed pitcher Kyle Hendricks — to Chicago.
Dempster is only 5-5 this season, but he has a 2.25 ERA and 83 strikeouts through 16 starts with the Cubs, who are sitting in fifth place in the NL Central. While the two-time All-Star never pitched a game with the Rangers in his 15-year career in the majors, he was originally selected by Texas in the third round of the 1995 draft.
The Rangers used this acquisition to help bolster a rotation that has been hurt by injuries this season. Neftali Feliz, who was moved to the rotation this season, is on the 60-day DL due to a sprained ligament in his right elbow. Texas also recently lost Colby Lewis to a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow that will keep him out until next season.
Villanueva, 21, has spent this season with High-A Myrtle Beach, where he was batting .285 with 10 home runs and 19 doubles in 100 games. Baseball America ranked Villanueva as the No. 100 prospect before 2012.
Like Villanueva, Hendricks has been playing in Myrtle Beach this season. The 22-year-old starter is 5-8 this season with a 2.82 ERA and 112 strikeouts in 20 starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft
- Cup of Coffee: Owens stays strong; Ball delivers best yet