Trade Deadline: Yankees acquire Casey McGehee from Pirates
|07.31.12 at 5:23 pm ET|
With the injuries to corner infielders Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira in recent weeks, the Yankees acquired a corner infielder at the trade deadline, dealing Chad Qualls to the Pirates for Casey McGehee.
McGehee, 29, is batting .230 with eight home runs in 92 games with the Pirates this season. The former Brewer became expendable when the Pirates acquired Gaby Sanchez, as Garrett Jones and Sanchez can fill McGehee’s role at first base.
In 2010 with the Brewers, McGehee had his best season, batting .285 with 23 home runs and 104 RBIs. McGehee struggled in 2011 though, batting .223 with only 13 homers and 67 RBIs.
For a Pirates team that just dealt away successful relief pitcher Brad Lincoln for outfielder Travis Snider, Qualls can fill a spot in the bullpen. The right-hander had a 6.14 ERA in his eight games with the Yankees after being traded from the Phillies on July 1.
With the trade of Qualls, the Yankees have called up Joba Chamberlain from his rehab appearance in Double-A Trenton. Chamberlain has not pitched in the majors since June 5, 2011. Since then, the right-hander has gone through Tommy John surgery, an appendectomy, a dislocated right ankle and a torn right MCL.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings