Trade Deadline: Yankees acquire Casey McGehee from Pirates
|07.31.12 at 5:23 pm ET|
With the injuries to corner infielders Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira in recent weeks, the Yankees acquired a corner infielder at the trade deadline, dealing Chad Qualls to the Pirates for Casey McGehee.
McGehee, 29, is batting .230 with eight home runs in 92 games with the Pirates this season. The former Brewer became expendable when the Pirates acquired Gaby Sanchez, as Garrett Jones and Sanchez can fill McGehee’s role at first base.
In 2010 with the Brewers, McGehee had his best season, batting .285 with 23 home runs and 104 RBIs. McGehee struggled in 2011 though, batting .223 with only 13 homers and 67 RBIs.
For a Pirates team that just dealt away successful relief pitcher Brad Lincoln for outfielder Travis Snider, Qualls can fill a spot in the bullpen. The right-hander had a 6.14 ERA in his eight games with the Yankees after being traded from the Phillies on July 1.
With the trade of Qualls, the Yankees have called up Joba Chamberlain from his rehab appearance in Double-A Trenton. Chamberlain has not pitched in the majors since June 5, 2011. Since then, the right-hander has gone through Tommy John surgery, an appendectomy, a dislocated right ankle and a torn right MCL.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs