Cody Ross on Darin Mastroianni’s 10th inning double: ‘I feel like I should have caught it’
|08.04.12 at 7:30 am ET|
When the ball came off of Darin Mastroianni‘s bat in the top of the tenth, it looked as if it would be a close call for either Cody Ross or Jacoby Ellsbury to make the catch. It was indeed a close call, but it went in favor of the Twins as the ball landed in the gap and gave Minnesota a runner in scoring position with nobody out.
‘I feel like I should have caught it,’ Ross said. ‘Any ball that is hit my way I feel like I should catch.
‘It’s tough to defend the whole field. It’s a big field out there. I caught a couple balls down the line that could have easily been triples, but that one drops in and it just so happens that it’s in a big part of the game. It was just spotlighted.’
Ross, who went 2-for-5 with a double and a run in the game, said that neither he nor Ellsbury called for the ball, but even so he felt as if he should have caught it.
With the Red Sox having lost three in a row, especially after a loss in which the team could not hold onto its four-run lead to lose in extra innings, Ross said that this most recent step backward for the team was frustrating.
‘Any time we lose it’s old,” he said. “Obviously we want to win every single game that we can accomplish, but ‘ we feel like we are a better team than this, and it’s frustrating. It’s a tough time now.
‘Talent can only go so far. You have to figure out ways to win. There is a difference between being a really talented group and being a winning group, and on paper it looks like that, but right now it feels like we are treading water. It’s not a good feeling. We have to snap out of it.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!