Sunday’s Red Sox-Twins matchups: Franklin Morales vs. Nick Blackburn
|08.05.12 at 9:20 am ET|
Morales will start in place of Josh Beckett, whose next start has been pushed to Wednesday after he left his last start with a back spasm. Morales made five starts earlier this season before being pushed to the bullpen, but whether pitching in relief or in a starter’s role, the left-hander has been one of the more reliable arms on the Red Sox pitching staff this season. In 57 innings, Morales is 2-2 with a 3.32 ERA and 60 strikeouts, which already is a career high for him.
Morales’ last start came on July 13, when he picked up the win in a 3-1 victory over the Rays, pitching five shutout innings, scattering two hits and punching out five despite allowing three walks. After that start, however, manager Bobby Valentine opted to abandon the six-man rotation the Red Sox had been utilizing and pushed Morales back to the bullpen. Morales has since made five appearances, which included, most recently, his 11th career save in a rain-shortened, six-inning affair against the Tigers on Tuesday, when he allowed a hit and a walk in one-third of an inning.
Beckett’s latest injury offers an opportunity for Morales to return to the rotation, where he succeeded in spot starting duties after Beckett went down with shoulder inflammation in June. In those five starts he made, Morales posted a 2-1 record, a 3.42 ERA and 31 strikeouts. The Red Sox were 3-2 overall in his starts.
Morales has logged only 3 2/3 innings against the Twins in his career, including 1 1/3 innings in two appearances in April when the Red Sox and Twins met in Minnesota. He’ll go up against Blackburn, who has struggled for the most part this season, but is recently coming off one of his best start of the year.
After a miserable outing on July 25 against the White Sox, allowing eight earned runs on 10 hits in 4 1/3 innings, Blackburn came back with a stronger performance in his second chance against the White Sox on Tuesday. In eight innings, he allowed just five hits and two earned runs with two strikeouts.
That start, however, is not indicative of how Blackburn’s season has gone. The 30-year-old right-hander is 4-6 with a 7.43 ERA this season, which includes 11 starts in which he has given up at least four earned runs. With the exception of his last start, Blackburn has gone longer than six innings just once, and he has given up at least one run in each of his starts this season.
In six career starts against the Red Sox, Blackburn is 2-2 with a 4.17 ERA. He last played them on April 24, when he lasted just three innings as he gave up five runs on three hits in an 11-2 loss.
Twins vs. Morales (LHP)
Joe Mauer (4 plate appearances): .250 BA/.250 OBP/.250 SLG
Jamey Carroll (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Ryan Doumit (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Justin Morneau (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Denard Span (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI
Josh Willingham (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Danny Valencia has one walk in one plate appearance against Morales.
Red Sox vs. Blackburn (RHP)
Jacoby Ellsbury (19 plate appearances): .278 BA/.316 OBP/.278 SLG
Kelly Shoppach (18): .500/.474/1.111, 2 doubles, 3 home runs, 5 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (17): .071/.235/.071, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (17): .267/.353/.333, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Aviles (13): .545/.583/1.000, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Adrian Gonzalez (8): .429/.500/.429, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller