Monday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Aaron Cook vs. Yu Darvish
|08.06.12 at 11:57 am ET|
In five starts since a brilliant complete game two-hitter against the Mariners on June 29, Cook hasn’t won a game and is 0-4 in those starts with a no-decision sandwiched in. Cook, who is 2-5 with a 5.24 ERA this season, has struggled mightily recently. He has permitted at least six earned runs in each of his last two starts and allowed two home runs in each of his last three starts.
In his last start, Cook only lasted 4 2/3 innings against the Tigers in the first loss of the Red Sox’ recent four-game skid. Cook hasn’t gone five or more innings in each of his last two starts and has given up 16 hits in his last 8 2/3 innings.
Despite being in the big leagues since 2002, Cook has never faced the Rangers. However, Cook, who was a member of the Rockies for 10 seasons, is familiar with Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre. In 17 plate appearances against Cook, Beltre has six hits ‘ all singles ‘ with four RBIs.
Cook will match up against Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish, who has similarly never played against the Red Sox in his career.
Since July 1, Darvish (11-7, 4.38 ERA), who was named an All-Star, has struggled similarly to Cook. In his last five starts, Darvish is 1-3 with a 6.82 ERA. His last start may have been his worst of the season, as he gave up six walks and seven earned runs on just four hits in just five innings in a no-decision against the Angels.
Darvish also has struggled massively on the road this season. In his last seven games as a visitor, the Japanese right-hander has lost five of them with a 5.44 ERA.
Despite his recent struggles, Darvish has maintained his label as a strikeout machine. Unlike Cook, who has just four strikeouts this season, Darvish has racked up 145 punchouts — good for fifth best in the American League — and he has recorded at least 10 strikeouts in six starts this season.
Rangers vs. Cook (RHP)
Adrian Beltre (17 plate appearances): .462 BA/.529 OBP/.462 SLG, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Alberto Gonzalez (9): .375/.333/.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Mike Napoli (9): .222/.222/.222, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Roy Oswalt (6): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Geovany Soto (5): .200/.200/.200
Josh Hamilton (3): 1.000/1.000/2.000, 1 double, 1 triple
Red Sox vs. Darvish (RHP)
No current Red Sox batters have ever faced Darvish.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada