Wednesday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Josh Beckett vs. Matt Harrison
|08.08.12 at 8:59 am ET|
In his last outing, Beckett (5-9, 4.54 ERA) was taken out of the game with the back injury in the third inning after he walked home a run.
Beckett’s last start before the injury resulted in a 5-3 loss to the same Rangers team he will be facing on Wednesday. In the loss, the 32-year-old allowed four runs on nine hits and two walks while striking out three through seven innings pitched.
The Red Sox will be looking for a better performance out of Beckett on Wednesday, as the former Marlin has a 1-5 record with a 4.67 ERA in his previous 10 starts.
If there is one player on the Rangers who matches up well with Beckett, it is Josh Hamilton, who has two homers and a .400 batting average in 23 career plate appearances against him.
On the mound for the Rangers will be Matt Harrison, who bounced back from two mediocre outings with a win in his last start.
The 26-year-old lefty only allowed two runs on eight hits through 6 2/3 innings en route to a win over the Royals in his last start. The victory improved his record to 13-6 on the year and lowered his ERA to 3.17.
Harrison is capable of going deep into games, as he already has two complete-game shutouts this season. The North Carolina native averages almost seven innings pitched per start.
The Red Sox hitter who has had the most success against Harrison is arguably the hottest Red Sox batter as of late — Carl Crawford. Crawford has recorded a .364 batting average with four RBIs against Harrison in his career.
Rangers vs. Beckett (RHP)
Adrian Beltre (31 plate appearances): .200 BA/.226 OBP/.233 SLG, 1 double, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Michael Young (30): .214/.233/.357, 1 home run, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Josh Hamilton (23): .400/.478/.700, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Elvis Andrus (20): .267/.421/.267, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Ian Kinsler (17): .188/.235/.313, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (16): .267/.421/.267, 2 home runs, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (15): .071/.133/.071, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
David Murphy (14): .417/.429/.750, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 strikeout
Mitch Moreland (8): .250/.250/.625, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Craig Gentry (3): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Alberto Gonzalez (2): .500/.500/.500
Red Sox vs. Harrison (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (14 plate appearances): .231 BA/.286 OBP/.231 SLG, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Aviles (13): .077/.077/.077, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (12): .364/.333/.455, 1 double, 4 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (11): .273/.273/.364, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Adrian Gonzalez (9): .125/.222/.125, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Nick Punto (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Cody Ross (1): .000/.000/.000
Kelly Shoppach (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss