Wednesday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Josh Beckett vs. Matt Harrison
|08.08.12 at 8:59 am ET|
In his last outing, Beckett (5-9, 4.54 ERA) was taken out of the game with the back injury in the third inning after he walked home a run.
Beckett’s last start before the injury resulted in a 5-3 loss to the same Rangers team he will be facing on Wednesday. In the loss, the 32-year-old allowed four runs on nine hits and two walks while striking out three through seven innings pitched.
The Red Sox will be looking for a better performance out of Beckett on Wednesday, as the former Marlin has a 1-5 record with a 4.67 ERA in his previous 10 starts.
If there is one player on the Rangers who matches up well with Beckett, it is Josh Hamilton, who has two homers and a .400 batting average in 23 career plate appearances against him.
On the mound for the Rangers will be Matt Harrison, who bounced back from two mediocre outings with a win in his last start.
The 26-year-old lefty only allowed two runs on eight hits through 6 2/3 innings en route to a win over the Royals in his last start. The victory improved his record to 13-6 on the year and lowered his ERA to 3.17.
Harrison is capable of going deep into games, as he already has two complete-game shutouts this season. The North Carolina native averages almost seven innings pitched per start.
The Red Sox hitter who has had the most success against Harrison is arguably the hottest Red Sox batter as of late — Carl Crawford. Crawford has recorded a .364 batting average with four RBIs against Harrison in his career.
Rangers vs. Beckett (RHP)
Adrian Beltre (31 plate appearances): .200 BA/.226 OBP/.233 SLG, 1 double, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Michael Young (30): .214/.233/.357, 1 home run, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Josh Hamilton (23): .400/.478/.700, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Elvis Andrus (20): .267/.421/.267, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Ian Kinsler (17): .188/.235/.313, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (16): .267/.421/.267, 2 home runs, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (15): .071/.133/.071, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
David Murphy (14): .417/.429/.750, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 strikeout
Mitch Moreland (8): .250/.250/.625, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Craig Gentry (3): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Alberto Gonzalez (2): .500/.500/.500
Red Sox vs. Harrison (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (14 plate appearances): .231 BA/.286 OBP/.231 SLG, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Aviles (13): .077/.077/.077, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (12): .364/.333/.455, 1 double, 4 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (11): .273/.273/.364, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Adrian Gonzalez (9): .125/.222/.125, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Nick Punto (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Cody Ross (1): .000/.000/.000
Kelly Shoppach (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive