Nuggetpalooza: Three disappointing nuggets on the disappointing Red Sox
|08.10.12 at 8:41 am ET|
Noting the Red Sox following their disappointing, 5-3, loss at Cleveland on Thursday night:
* – With Thursday’s 5-3 loss to Cleveland, the Red Sox fell to 7-15 in road trip openers since the start of last season, scoring three runs or fewer in 12 of those games (55%).
* – Since July 1, Jarrod Saltalamacchia has reached two strikes in 62 plate appearances and wound up striking out in a whopping 42 of those, easily the highest such percentage in the majors in that span (min. 50 two-strike plate appearances):
67.7% – Jarrod Saltalamacchia, BOS
64.0% – Bryan LaHair, CHC
59.6% – Brandon Belt, SF
He is also hitting just .034 (2-for-58) in two-strike situations since July 1, the lowest/worst mark in the majors in that span (same minimums). And look who’s fourth-worst:
Prior to this stretch, Saltalamacchia had struck out in 52% of his two-strike plate appearances.
* – On Thursday, the Red Sox went 0-for-1 with two outs and runners in scoring position after the 5th inning (i.e. once they were trailing by two runs). Since the beginning of May, they’ve had just one single in 24 such plate appearances (two outs, RISP, trailing by one or two runs, 6th inning or later), the lowest such average in the AL in that span:
.042 – Red Sox (1-for-24)
.045 – Blue Jays (1-for-22)
.059 – Angels (1-for-17)
Note this: The one hit belongs to Dustin Pedroia (1-for-5), who is the only member of the Red Sox with more than three such plate appearances in that span. It’s also notable that no Red Sox have coaxed a walk in any of those plate appearances.
Note this too: Last season, the Red Sox picked up 16 hits and five walks in those situations, hitting .264.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell
- Red Sox sign five more draftees, including first-round pick Benintendi
- 2015 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free! (close to goal)
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule