Nuggetpalooza: Three disappointing nuggets on the disappointing Red Sox
|08.10.12 at 8:41 am ET|
Noting the Red Sox following their disappointing, 5-3, loss at Cleveland on Thursday night:
* – With Thursday’s 5-3 loss to Cleveland, the Red Sox fell to 7-15 in road trip openers since the start of last season, scoring three runs or fewer in 12 of those games (55%).
* – Since July 1, Jarrod Saltalamacchia has reached two strikes in 62 plate appearances and wound up striking out in a whopping 42 of those, easily the highest such percentage in the majors in that span (min. 50 two-strike plate appearances):
67.7% – Jarrod Saltalamacchia, BOS
64.0% – Bryan LaHair, CHC
59.6% – Brandon Belt, SF
He is also hitting just .034 (2-for-58) in two-strike situations since July 1, the lowest/worst mark in the majors in that span (same minimums). And look who’s fourth-worst:
Prior to this stretch, Saltalamacchia had struck out in 52% of his two-strike plate appearances.
* – On Thursday, the Red Sox went 0-for-1 with two outs and runners in scoring position after the 5th inning (i.e. once they were trailing by two runs). Since the beginning of May, they’ve had just one single in 24 such plate appearances (two outs, RISP, trailing by one or two runs, 6th inning or later), the lowest such average in the AL in that span:
.042 – Red Sox (1-for-24)
.045 – Blue Jays (1-for-22)
.059 – Angels (1-for-17)
Note this: The one hit belongs to Dustin Pedroia (1-for-5), who is the only member of the Red Sox with more than three such plate appearances in that span. It’s also notable that no Red Sox have coaxed a walk in any of those plate appearances.
Note this too: Last season, the Red Sox picked up 16 hits and five walks in those situations, hitting .264.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland