Sunday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Jon Lester vs. Corey Kluber
|08.12.12 at 9:37 am ET|
In his last outing, the 28-year-old threw 6 2/3 innings and allowed four runs in a 6-3 loss to the Rangers. Lester (5-10, 5.36) is on a two-game losing streak. The Red Sox have lost six of his last seven starts.
Boston defeated the Yankees when Lester pitched six innings and allowed four runs in late July. The lefty has not won a start since June 27, when the Red Sox defeated the Blue Jays 10-4. Lester pitched seven innings of four-run baseball in that game.
Lester hasn’t pitched against the Indians since May 25, when he allowed zero runs through six innings in a Red Sox victory.
Corey Kluber, who will be starting for the Indians, has never faced the Red Sox in his career. In two years in the majors, Kluber (0-0, 6.10) has pitched in five games. He has started twice in his career, both times this season.
Both of Kluber’s starts ended in losses. In his last outing, the 26-year-old allowed one earned run in six innings as the Indians lost to Minnesota. In his first start of the season, on Aug. 2, Kluber allowed six runs through 4 1/3 innings to the Royals.
Red Sox vs. Kluber (RHP)
No current Red Sox batters have faced Kluber.
Indians vs. Lester (LHP)
Asdrubal Cabrera (15 plate appearances): .182 BA/.231 OBP/.273 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Shin-Soo Choo (15): .091/.200/.091, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jack Hannahan (14): .429/.429/.429, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Casey Kotchman (13): .167/.231/.167, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shelley Duncan (12): .364/.417/.545, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Lou Marson (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Jason Donald (6): .500/.500/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Michael Brantley (5): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Brent Lillibridge (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Carlos Santana (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Ezequiel Carrera (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title