|Sunday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Jon Lester vs. Corey Kluber||08.12.12 at 9:37 am ET|
Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester will start against the Indians in the final game of the four-game series at Progressive Field on Sunday afternoon.
In his last outing, the 28-year-old threw 6 2/3 innings and allowed four runs in a 6-3 loss to the Rangers. Lester (5-10, 5.36) is on a two-game losing streak. The Red Sox have lost six of his last seven starts.
Boston defeated the Yankees when Lester pitched six innings and allowed four runs in late July. The lefty has not won a start since June 27, when the Red Sox defeated the Blue Jays 10-4. Lester pitched seven innings of four-run baseball in that game.
Lester hasn’t pitched against the Indians since May 25, when he allowed zero runs through six innings in a Red Sox victory.
Corey Kluber, who will be starting for the Indians, has never faced the Red Sox in his career. In two years in the majors, Kluber (0-0, 6.10) has pitched in five games. He has started twice in his career, both times this season.
Both of Kluber’s starts ended in losses. In his last outing, the 26-year-old allowed one earned run in six innings as the Indians lost to Minnesota. In his first start of the season, on Aug. 2, Kluber allowed six runs through 4 1/3 innings to the Royals.
Red Sox vs. Kluber (RHP)
No current Red Sox batters have faced Kluber.
Indians vs. Lester (LHP)
Asdrubal Cabrera (15 plate appearances): .182 BA/.231 OBP/.273 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Shin-Soo Choo (15): .091/.200/.091, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jack Hannahan (14): .429/.429/.429, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Casey Kotchman (13): .167/.231/.167, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shelley Duncan (12): .364/.417/.545, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Lou Marson (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Jason Donald (6): .500/.500/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Michael Brantley (5): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Brent Lillibridge (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Carlos Santana (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Ezequiel Carrera (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
- Cup of Coffee: Henry, Diaz propel Pawtucket to blowout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Spring's walk-off grand slam lifts Portland
- Bradley: "Everything's back to normal"
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Drive produce walk-off wins
- PawSox activate Jackie Bradley, Jr. from disabled list
- Weekly Notes: De La Rosa, Betts take center stage
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw leads 18-hit attack in Sea Dogs rout
- Cup of Coffee: Gedman, big Salem seventh key system’s only win
- Christian Vazquez’s new focus at the plate starting to pay off
- Cup of Coffee: Augliera dominant in Salem victory