Sunday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Jon Lester vs. Corey Kluber
|08.12.12 at 9:37 am ET|
In his last outing, the 28-year-old threw 6 2/3 innings and allowed four runs in a 6-3 loss to the Rangers. Lester (5-10, 5.36) is on a two-game losing streak. The Red Sox have lost six of his last seven starts.
Boston defeated the Yankees when Lester pitched six innings and allowed four runs in late July. The lefty has not won a start since June 27, when the Red Sox defeated the Blue Jays 10-4. Lester pitched seven innings of four-run baseball in that game.
Lester hasn’t pitched against the Indians since May 25, when he allowed zero runs through six innings in a Red Sox victory.
Corey Kluber, who will be starting for the Indians, has never faced the Red Sox in his career. In two years in the majors, Kluber (0-0, 6.10) has pitched in five games. He has started twice in his career, both times this season.
Both of Kluber’s starts ended in losses. In his last outing, the 26-year-old allowed one earned run in six innings as the Indians lost to Minnesota. In his first start of the season, on Aug. 2, Kluber allowed six runs through 4 1/3 innings to the Royals.
Red Sox vs. Kluber (RHP)
No current Red Sox batters have faced Kluber.
Indians vs. Lester (LHP)
Asdrubal Cabrera (15 plate appearances): .182 BA/.231 OBP/.273 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Shin-Soo Choo (15): .091/.200/.091, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jack Hannahan (14): .429/.429/.429, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Casey Kotchman (13): .167/.231/.167, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shelley Duncan (12): .364/.417/.545, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Lou Marson (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Jason Donald (6): .500/.500/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Michael Brantley (5): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Brent Lillibridge (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Carlos Santana (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Ezequiel Carrera (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies