Andrew Bailey feels he has a good grip on things
|08.14.12 at 10:14 am ET|
BALTIMORE ‘ Since Andrew Bailey last pitched in a major league game he made a unique discovery. Through analysis of all things regarding his injured thumb, it was brought to the pitcher’s attention that his grip (on every pitch) includes placing his thumb underneath the baseball.
‘One of our trainers, Mike Reinold, said, ‘How do you grip a baseball?’ I showed him and then I went around the clubhouse and figured out I was the only who does it,’ Bailey said. ‘It’s just one of those weird things where we’re looking at all the evidence, I guess.’
So, with Bailey trying to put his UCL surgery in the rear-view mirror, while trying to regain the momentum of his big league career, the question has to be asked: Will he try and take stress of his surgically-repaired thumb and alter the way he holds a baseball?
‘No,’ he said. ‘I figured if I could go another 28 years without having the surgery I will be OK. Talking to the doctors, it’s just a freak thing. Everything feels normal now. It’s all behind me.’
Bailey wants to reiterate that his method of throwing a baseball has nothing to do with the injury sustained in spring training.
And, after giving up just one run over six appearances ‘ striking out 10 and walking one ‘ in his recent rehab assignment, Bailey continues to have confidence in maintaining his usual approach.
‘It is different,’ said the righty of his grip. ‘Dr. [Thomas] Graham said it’s one of those things that weakened over time and I feel I could have done it doing anything. But now it’s strong, just like it was before. It feels good.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles