Andrew Bailey feels he has a good grip on things
|08.14.12 at 10:14 am ET|
BALTIMORE ‘ Since Andrew Bailey last pitched in a major league game he made a unique discovery. Through analysis of all things regarding his injured thumb, it was brought to the pitcher’s attention that his grip (on every pitch) includes placing his thumb underneath the baseball.
‘One of our trainers, Mike Reinold, said, ‘How do you grip a baseball?’ I showed him and then I went around the clubhouse and figured out I was the only who does it,’ Bailey said. ‘It’s just one of those weird things where we’re looking at all the evidence, I guess.’
So, with Bailey trying to put his UCL surgery in the rear-view mirror, while trying to regain the momentum of his big league career, the question has to be asked: Will he try and take stress of his surgically-repaired thumb and alter the way he holds a baseball?
‘No,’ he said. ‘I figured if I could go another 28 years without having the surgery I will be OK. Talking to the doctors, it’s just a freak thing. Everything feels normal now. It’s all behind me.’
Bailey wants to reiterate that his method of throwing a baseball has nothing to do with the injury sustained in spring training.
And, after giving up just one run over six appearances ‘ striking out 10 and walking one ‘ in his recent rehab assignment, Bailey continues to have confidence in maintaining his usual approach.
‘It is different,’ said the righty of his grip. ‘Dr. [Thomas] Graham said it’s one of those things that weakened over time and I feel I could have done it doing anything. But now it’s strong, just like it was before. It feels good.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome