Andrew Bailey feels he has a good grip on things
|08.14.12 at 10:14 am ET|
BALTIMORE ‘ Since Andrew Bailey last pitched in a major league game he made a unique discovery. Through analysis of all things regarding his injured thumb, it was brought to the pitcher’s attention that his grip (on every pitch) includes placing his thumb underneath the baseball.
‘One of our trainers, Mike Reinold, said, ‘How do you grip a baseball?’ I showed him and then I went around the clubhouse and figured out I was the only who does it,’ Bailey said. ‘It’s just one of those weird things where we’re looking at all the evidence, I guess.’
So, with Bailey trying to put his UCL surgery in the rear-view mirror, while trying to regain the momentum of his big league career, the question has to be asked: Will he try and take stress of his surgically-repaired thumb and alter the way he holds a baseball?
‘No,’ he said. ‘I figured if I could go another 28 years without having the surgery I will be OK. Talking to the doctors, it’s just a freak thing. Everything feels normal now. It’s all behind me.’
Bailey wants to reiterate that his method of throwing a baseball has nothing to do with the injury sustained in spring training.
And, after giving up just one run over six appearances ‘ striking out 10 and walking one ‘ in his recent rehab assignment, Bailey continues to have confidence in maintaining his usual approach.
‘It is different,’ said the righty of his grip. ‘Dr. [Thomas] Graham said it’s one of those things that weakened over time and I feel I could have done it doing anything. But now it’s strong, just like it was before. It feels good.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot