Bobby Valentine on The Big Show: ‘I go through things with open eyes’
|08.15.12 at 4:02 pm ET|
To listen to the interview, go to The Big Show audio on demand page.
Asked if he has backed off in his managerial approach, Valentine said, “I don’t know. Again its that idea of making adjustments. I’ve been advised. I’m not a dummy. I go through things with open eyes. I’m trying to figure out, and again, this is four months into a very trying situation and I’m trying to figure out what works best to get the results we need.”
As for whether he feels has control of his team, Valentine said, “As far as how high we wear out pants or any of that stuff, I don’t need those kinds of controls. I think we’re working on a situation, an organizational structure, a team structure that could be as functional as possible as we go forward, day by day.’
Valentine said it was his job to focus the team on the task at hand, but acknowledged that the scrutiny wears on the players.
“I think there is a lot of emotion flying around here these days,” Valentine said. “One of the things I was discussing with one of the players was that all of this noise is one of the reasons players don’t want to sign here, because they don’t have to deal with this in other markets. They don’t worry about the drama of the day. They can just go out and play baseball.”
As far as the players’ meeting reported by Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, Valentine said he was in the meeting with Ben Cherington and ownership prior to the players’ meeting, but wasn’t involved in the latter.
“I just thought this was the way the do things to be as candid as possible,” Valentine said. “I didn’t know that it was anything different than they way they’d always done things.’
Asked whether he thought the team currently had a productive climate for a winning atmosphere, Valentine responded, “I think it really needs fine tuning. Just like you said, they might have brought me in to adjust some of the culture that was existing.”
As for his efforts to change things, Valentine said it’s always tough but he’s turned to some familiar names for advice.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept