Wednesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Aaron Cook vs. Miguel Gonzalez
|08.15.12 at 11:51 am ET|
The 33-year-old will take the mound after winning his last start against Texas. The righty threw seven innings of one-run baseball and allowed three walks in the 9-2 victory.
Prior to that victory, the Red Sox had lost Cook’s last three starts, when he allowed 15 earned runs through 15 innings. Cook, who is 3-5 with a 4.70 ERA, is 1-2 on the road with a 4.26 ERA.
Cook last pitched against the Orioles on May 5. He received the starting nod, allowing six earned runs in 2 2/3 innings as the Red Sox lost 8-2. Of the nine current Orioles Cook has pitched against, he has seen Mike Reynolds the most. Reynolds is batting .250 with one home run, four RBIs and eight strikeouts in 24 plate appearances against Cook.
Opposing Cook will be right-hander Miguel Gonzalez. The former Red Sox farmhand pitched against the Sox once before, tossing four innings of one-run ball in relief on June 7 in a 7-0 Orioles loss. However, only three Sox batters from that game are on Boston’s active list for Wednesday’s contest, so there is plenty of unfamiliarity on both sides.
In his last three starts, Gonzalez (4-2, 3.42 ERA) pitched 21 2/3 innings and allowed five runs. His last outing resulted in a 7-1 victory against Kansas City, when the 28-year-old tossed eight innings of one-run baseball.
Despite his recent success, Gonzalez has struggled at home this season. In three starts he is 1-2 with a 5.23 ERA when pitching at Camden Yards, and only one of his last three starts occurred in Baltimore.Red Sox vs. Gonzalez (RHP)
Mike Aviles (2 plate appearances): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (2) .000/.000/.000
Adrian Gonzalez (1): .000/.000/.000
Orioles vs. Cook (RHP)
Mark Reynolds (24 plate appearances): .250 BA/.333 OBP/.550 SLG, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (18): .200/.295/.267, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Wilson Betemit (11): .556/.636/.889, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 walks
Robert Andino (2): .000/.000/.000
Chris Davis (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000
J.J. Hardy (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Adam Jones (2): .500/.500/2.000, 1 HR, 2 RBIs
Nick Markakis (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Matt Wieters (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win