Thursday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Chris Tillman
|08.16.12 at 9:41 am ET|
Clay Buchholz gets the start Thursday night at Camden Yards as the Red Sox wrap up their four-game series against the Orioles. The start comes just one day shy of the five-year anniversary of Buchholz’s major league debut in 2007.
After spending much of April and May with the highest ERA in the majors, the 28-year-old has been Boston’s best starting pitcher for more than two months, leading the team in wins (10), ERA (4.24) and WHIP (1.28).
The Sox have won eight of Buchholz’s 10 starts since the end of May and the righty is coming off his best performance of the year: a complete game in which he allowed just two hits and one earned run en route to a 3-2 win over the Indians.
In his three previous starts against the Orioles this season, Buchholz is 1-0 with a 5.00 ERA. The Sox won in his only start at Camden Yards this year, though Buchholz struggled, giving up five earned runs in 5 1/3 innings.
In 119 career at-bats, the current Orioles lineup is hitting just .210 against Buchholz, though five of their 25 hits have been for home runs. J.J. Hardy has been particularly successful against Buchholz, recording four hits, two homers and three RBIs in 10 at-bats.
Taking the mound for Baltimore Thursday is Chris Tillman. The 6-foot-5 righty boasts a 3.40 ERA along with a 5-2 record in just seven starts.
Tillman was called up from the minors on July 4 for a start against the Mariners, and in his season debut he carried a one-hit shutout into the ninth inning before he was removed with one out and two men on base.
Against Boston, Tillman has not had nearly the same success. In two career games against the Sox, Tillman is 0-1 with a 5.68 ERA. The six Boston players with plate appearances against Tillman are hitting a collective .464.
Red Sox vs. Tillman (RHP)
Carl Crawford (14 plate appearances): .500 BA/.500 OBP/.857 SLG, 1 double, 2 triples, 1 RBI
Dustin Pedroia (5): .500/.600/.500, 2 hits, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .333/.333/.333
Adrian Gonzalez (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Danny Valencia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 RBI
Mike Aviles (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Orioles vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Nick Markakis (34 plate appearances): .111 BA/.294 OBP/.111 SLG, 2 RBIs, 6 walks, 4 strikeouts
Adam Jones (24): .222/.261/.500, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 6 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Matt Weiters (24): .286/.375/.381, 2 double, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
Robert Andino (15): .143/.200/.357, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Chris Davis (12): .273/.333/.636, 1 double, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Mark Reynolds (12): .125/.333/.250, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (10): .400/.400/1.000, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Wilson Betemit (5): .400/.400/.400, 1 strikeout
Taylor Teagarden (5): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins