Ben Cherington: Red Sox evaluating how to approach Aug. 31 trade deadline
|08.19.12 at 8:56 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said that, while the Sox have made two deals this month — one to acquire third baseman Danny Valencia from the Twins for minor leaguer Jeremias Pineda, and another to send Kelly Shoppach to the Mets for reliever Pedro Beato — the team still is taking stock of whether it might consider further deals. Teams have until Aug. 31 to acquire players who pass through waivers for a possible addition to a postseason roster.
Cherington suggested that the Sox currently are using a current gauntlet of games against American League contenders to determine whether the team might try to add, subtract or do neither between now and Aug. 31.
“I don’t think it’s a 12-day question. I think every day, we consider doing things. That’s another marker on the calendar, certainly, but every day we consider doing things,” Cherington said. “We knew that this stretch of games — Texas, New York, L.A. — were pretty damn important. We’re trying to win as many of them as we can and see where we are at the end of that stretch.”
Entering Sunday night’s game in New York, the Red Sox were 5-7 over their last 12 contests against the Rangers, Indians, Orioles and Yankees. After an off-day on Monday, the Sox will play the Angels in six of their next 10 games leading up to the Aug. 31 deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Ockimey continue hot streaks