Ben Cherington: Red Sox evaluating how to approach Aug. 31 trade deadline
|08.19.12 at 8:56 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said that, while the Sox have made two deals this month — one to acquire third baseman Danny Valencia from the Twins for minor leaguer Jeremias Pineda, and another to send Kelly Shoppach to the Mets for reliever Pedro Beato — the team still is taking stock of whether it might consider further deals. Teams have until Aug. 31 to acquire players who pass through waivers for a possible addition to a postseason roster.
Cherington suggested that the Sox currently are using a current gauntlet of games against American League contenders to determine whether the team might try to add, subtract or do neither between now and Aug. 31.
“I don’t think it’s a 12-day question. I think every day, we consider doing things. That’s another marker on the calendar, certainly, but every day we consider doing things,” Cherington said. “We knew that this stretch of games — Texas, New York, L.A. — were pretty damn important. We’re trying to win as many of them as we can and see where we are at the end of that stretch.”
Entering Sunday night’s game in New York, the Red Sox were 5-7 over their last 12 contests against the Rangers, Indians, Orioles and Yankees. After an off-day on Monday, the Sox will play the Angels in six of their next 10 games leading up to the Aug. 31 deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Betts hits walk-off homer in day one of post-Lester era
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw