Ben Cherington: Red Sox evaluating how to approach Aug. 31 trade deadline
|08.19.12 at 8:56 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said that, while the Sox have made two deals this month — one to acquire third baseman Danny Valencia from the Twins for minor leaguer Jeremias Pineda, and another to send Kelly Shoppach to the Mets for reliever Pedro Beato — the team still is taking stock of whether it might consider further deals. Teams have until Aug. 31 to acquire players who pass through waivers for a possible addition to a postseason roster.
Cherington suggested that the Sox currently are using a current gauntlet of games against American League contenders to determine whether the team might try to add, subtract or do neither between now and Aug. 31.
“I don’t think it’s a 12-day question. I think every day, we consider doing things. That’s another marker on the calendar, certainly, but every day we consider doing things,” Cherington said. “We knew that this stretch of games — Texas, New York, L.A. — were pretty damn important. We’re trying to win as many of them as we can and see where we are at the end of that stretch.”
Entering Sunday night’s game in New York, the Red Sox were 5-7 over their last 12 contests against the Rangers, Indians, Orioles and Yankees. After an off-day on Monday, the Sox will play the Angels in six of their next 10 games leading up to the Aug. 31 deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Ortiz Ties Jimmie Foxx for 18th on All-Time Home Runs List
- Pedroia Has Become Forgotten Star in Red Sox's Booming Offense
- Andrew Benintendi Injury: Updates on Red Sox OF's Knee, Return
- Buchholz Can Still Play Big Part in Red Sox's Title Hopes
- Porcello's Resurgence Worth Every Penny of Extension
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Red Sox2 break out brooms; Dalbec keeps raking
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10