Ben Cherington: Red Sox evaluating how to approach Aug. 31 trade deadline
|08.19.12 at 8:56 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said that, while the Sox have made two deals this month — one to acquire third baseman Danny Valencia from the Twins for minor leaguer Jeremias Pineda, and another to send Kelly Shoppach to the Mets for reliever Pedro Beato — the team still is taking stock of whether it might consider further deals. Teams have until Aug. 31 to acquire players who pass through waivers for a possible addition to a postseason roster.
Cherington suggested that the Sox currently are using a current gauntlet of games against American League contenders to determine whether the team might try to add, subtract or do neither between now and Aug. 31.
“I don’t think it’s a 12-day question. I think every day, we consider doing things. That’s another marker on the calendar, certainly, but every day we consider doing things,” Cherington said. “We knew that this stretch of games — Texas, New York, L.A. — were pretty damn important. We’re trying to win as many of them as we can and see where we are at the end of that stretch.”
Entering Sunday night’s game in New York, the Red Sox were 5-7 over their last 12 contests against the Rangers, Indians, Orioles and Yankees. After an off-day on Monday, the Sox will play the Angels in six of their next 10 games leading up to the Aug. 31 deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo