Bobby Valentine on Randy Niemann: ‘What he brings is what is needed… a stabilizing force’
|08.21.12 at 7:34 pm ET|
Now that the Red Sox have made a change at the pitching coach position, what’s next?
The answer comes in the name of Randy Niemann, a former Met who did not play for Bobby Valentine but rather was a bullpen coach in the Mets organization when Valentine was there in the late 90s and 2000s.
Now, Niemann, who came onto Valentine’s staff this year as a pitching staff assistant, will be charged with significantly more responsibility as Bob McClure‘s replacement. So, Valentine is not worried about any significant transition.
“Since Randy’s been here, I’m not sure that idea really applies,” Valentine said Tuesday. “And he did it for a few weeks without a wrinkle. I think of him as one of this year’s pitching coaches right from the beginning.”
Niemann has filled in this year when Bob McClure had to take a personal leave of absence and early in the season when bullpen coach Gary Tuck was recovering from a double hernia.
“He just has a common sense approach to things. He’s worked with all the guys on rehab this year,” Valentine said. “He’s been totally in charge of that so I think they understand that he understands the throwing motion. He was in the bullpen for a couple of weeks when Gary wasn’t here so the relievers got to know him a little during game situations. He was in the dugout for a couple of weeks when Bob wasn’t here. I think what he brings is what is needed, a nice stabilizing force.
“Gary Tuck is kind of a constant, too. I think he’ll take a little role in this whole six-week project, too. It’ll be OK for the pitchers, I believe.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Ysla, Victor Diaz and Gerson Bautista
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced