Bobby Valentine on Randy Niemann: ‘What he brings is what is needed… a stabilizing force’
|08.21.12 at 7:34 pm ET|
Now that the Red Sox have made a change at the pitching coach position, what’s next?
The answer comes in the name of Randy Niemann, a former Met who did not play for Bobby Valentine but rather was a bullpen coach in the Mets organization when Valentine was there in the late 90s and 2000s.
Now, Niemann, who came onto Valentine’s staff this year as a pitching staff assistant, will be charged with significantly more responsibility as Bob McClure‘s replacement. So, Valentine is not worried about any significant transition.
“Since Randy’s been here, I’m not sure that idea really applies,” Valentine said Tuesday. “And he did it for a few weeks without a wrinkle. I think of him as one of this year’s pitching coaches right from the beginning.”
Niemann has filled in this year when Bob McClure had to take a personal leave of absence and early in the season when bullpen coach Gary Tuck was recovering from a double hernia.
“He just has a common sense approach to things. He’s worked with all the guys on rehab this year,” Valentine said. “He’s been totally in charge of that so I think they understand that he understands the throwing motion. He was in the bullpen for a couple of weeks when Gary wasn’t here so the relievers got to know him a little during game situations. He was in the dugout for a couple of weeks when Bob wasn’t here. I think what he brings is what is needed, a nice stabilizing force.
“Gary Tuck is kind of a constant, too. I think he’ll take a little role in this whole six-week project, too. It’ll be OK for the pitchers, I believe.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller