Albert Pujols to have MRI after straining his right calf against Red Sox
|08.22.12 at 11:25 pm ET|
Pujols, who signed a 10-year, $250 million contract with the Angels last winter, suffered the injury running between second and third base during a ground out in the fourth inning. Pujols eventually scored but was immediately tended to by Angels training staff. He did not take the field in the bottom of the fourth.
“I’m feeling sore right now,” Pujols said. “How I did it, I don’t know. I can’t tell you. I was running between second and third, that’s when I felt it the most. I didn’t feel it running from home to second on that double. I ran fine and then all of a sudden, I can’t tell you. It’s just one of those things.
“I was just hoping it was just a cramp and not something else. I was in the dugout and tried to rub it out but obviously, it was sore and they didn’t want to take the chance of sending me out there and making a small, little thing worse. It was tough because I don’t like to come out of a game.”
Pujols suffered a similar injury with the Cardinals in 2008, one that resulted in a 15-day stint on the disabled list.
“That was a pulled calf and this is nothing even close to that,” Pujols said. “Hopefully, [Thursday] it feels better. I’m going to ice it down and do other stuff and see how it goes.”
“We’ll just see what gives,” added Angels manager Mike Scoscia. “It tightened up on him and he kind of tried to stop in between second and third and felt a tightness. We’ll get more information [Thursday].
“He put a lot of ice on it after the game. Albert has his routine and when you’re playing everyday, especially the way he plays first base, he’s moving a lot, he’s not just stationary. There’s some fatigue that sets in as the season goes on with everybody, not just Albert. This might just be a function of that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists