Wendesday’s Red Sox-Angels matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Jered Weaver
|08.22.12 at 9:38 am ET|
Wednesday’s game between the Red Sox and Angels is almost surely going to be a pitcher’s duel, as both teams will be sending their respective aces to the mound. Boston will look for Clay Buchholz to continue his great play as of late and hold off Cy Young Award contender Jered Weaver.
Buchholz (11-3, 4.19 ERA) has eaten up a lot of innings in his previous six starts, lasting at least seven innings in each of those performances. Over that span, the right-hander is 3-0 with a 1.53 ERA and 27 strikeouts.
The beginning of the season was a rocky one for the Red Sox ace, but he has only gotten better as the season has continued. Buchholz had a 9.09 ERA after his first six starts of the year, but has brought that average down to a season-low of 4.19 entering Wednesday’s start.
In seven career starts against the Angels, Buchholz is 5-2 with a 3.95 ERA. However, the sixth-year starter is yet to face the Angels this season.
Going up against Buchholz will be Weaver (15-3, 2.74 ERA), who has been everything the Angels could have hoped for this season. However, his excellent performance took a serious dip last start.
In the outing, Weaver was crushed by the Rays, allowing nine runs on eight hits and two walks through only three innings. The outing, in which he only lasted 58 pitches, raised his ERA from 2.22 to 2.74.
However, before that start Weaver had been excellent this season. In a span between June 20 and Aug. 6, Weaver won all nine of his starts and had a 1.60 ERA with 44 strikeouts. Last year’s Cy Young Award runner-up capped off that span with a complete-game shutout over the Athletics.
Weaver has not fared well in his six career starts at Fenway Park, going 1-3 with a 7.16 ERA. Weaver has not pitched against the Red Sox yet this season.
Angels vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Vernon Wells (28 plate appearances): .200 BA/.286 OBP/.240 SLG, 1 double, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Maicer Izturis (19): .375/.474/.563, 3 doubles, 4 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Alberto Callaspo (18): .235/.278/.235, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Torii Hunter (18): .200/.333/.267, 1 double, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
Erick Aybar (16): .063/.063/.063
Howie Kendrick (13): .167/.154/.167, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Peter Bourjos (6): .167/.167/.167, 3 strikeouts
Kendrys Morales (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Bobby Wilson (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Red Sox vs. Weaver (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (21 plate appearances ): .211 BA/.286 OBP/.316 SLG, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Danny Valencia (15): .200/.200/.600, 2 home runs, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (14): .286/.286/.500, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (12): .222/.333/.222, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Scott Podsednik (10): .100/.100/.100, 3 strikeouts
Nick Punto (10): .111/.100/.111, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Adrian Gonzalez (7): .429/.429/.571, 1 double
Mike Aviles (6): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins