How deal would change Red Sox payroll
|08.24.12 at 9:33 pm ET|
The Red Sox were in something of a box this past offseason. Due to a number of cumbersome long-term commitments, the team lacked the flexibility to respond to some market opportunities (most notably, the possibility of competitive one-year bids for pitchers like Edwin Jackson and Hiroki Kuroda) and requiring the shedding of payroll in order to make other moves (as when the team dealt Marco Scutaro to free the resources to sign free agent Cody Ross).
Even with free agent Daisuke Matsuzaka and traded corner infielder Kevin Youkilis off the books, the team seemed like it might face a similar reality this offseason. The prospective deal with the Dodgers that would send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford to Los Angeles — along with Nick Punto — will change that outlook dramatically.
The deal would lead to the departure of four of the nine players signed to guaranteed contracts beyond 2012. Indeed, in Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett (in that order), the team would part with its three biggest contracts (as measured by average annual value). While the Sox are reportedly going to send some money to LA in the blockbuster, the increase in flexibility beyond the 2012 season could be staggering. In one fell swoop, the Sox would go from $99.59 million in guaranteed deals to $38.8 million.
Here’s the breakdown of players on the 40-man roster:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas