Thursday’s Red Sox-Angels matchups: Jon Lester vs. Zack Greinke
|08.30.12 at 9:27 am ET|
Lester’s season has aligned perfectly with Boston’s disappointing year as he’s 8-10 with a 4.98 ERA. However, he seems to have turned it around lately, winning three straight since Aug. 12. August has been by far his best month at 3-2 with a 3.12 ERA, as he has finished at least the sixth inning in all of his starts this month.
In his last outing on Friday, Lester earned his eighth win by going seven innings and allowing only three runs on six hits in a 4-3 win over Kansas City. It was the first time he had gone back-to-back starts while completing at least seven innings since June 22 and 27.
The lefty’s career record vs. the Angels is an impressive 4-1 despite having a 4.20 ERA in seven starts. He’s also 2-0 in Angel Stadium. The current Angels lineup is somewhat familiar with him as five players have more than 10 at-bats vs him in their careers. Maicer Izturis and Torrii Hunter have the most success against him out of that group and are 5-for-11 and 5-for-12, respectively.
The Angels will send deadline acquistion Zack Greinke to the mound opposite Lester.
Greinke was acquired from the Brewers in July to help bolster the starting rotation, however he hasn’t been able to return to his early season form. Currently he’s 2-2 with a 5.22 ERA in six starts with Los Angeles, but overall this season, he’s 11-5 with a 3.87 ERA. Only two of his six starts with the Angels have been of the quality start variety.
His last outing on Friday against the Tigers was the best he’s had in an Angels uniform. He went 7 2/3 innings allowing only one run, a solo shot to Miguel Cabrera in the eighth inning, on five hits helping him earn his second win in Los Angeles.
Despite having a 1-4 record against Boston in his career, he does hold a great 2.88 ERA over five starts. However since he hasn’t faced Boston in two years, he’s not that familiar with this Red Sox lineup. Scott Podsednik has the most at-bats vs. him in his career with 37 and is an impressive 17-for-34. He’s the only Red Sox hitter with more than two hits against Greinke.
Red Sox vs. Greinke (RHP)
Scott Podsednik (37 plate appearances): .500 BA/.541 OBP/.735 SLG, 6 doubles, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (14): .222/.429/.333, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (13): .154/.154/.308, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 5 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (7): .286/.286/.429, 1 double, 1 RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (7): .143/.143/.286, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
James Loney (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Angels vs. Lester (LHP)
Vernon Wells (41 plate appearances): .182 BA/.317 OBP/.333 SLG, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 6 walks, 6 strikeouts
Howie Kendrick (14): .231/.286/.308, 1 double, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Erick Aybar (13): .300/.462/.300, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Torii Hunter (12): .417/.417/.583, 2 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Maicer Izturis (12): .455/.500/.727, 3 doubles, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Alberto Callaspo (9): .143/.333/.286, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mark Trumbo (5): .200/.200/.800, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Kendrys Morales (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando