Tuesday’s Red Sox-Mariners matchups: Jon Lester vs. Blake Beavan
|09.04.12 at 9:08 am ET|
Historically, Lester (8-11, 5.01 ERA) has posted tremendous numbers against Seattle. After a couple of rough starts in his first two years in the majors, Lester has rebounded against the Mariners, going 3-2 with a 2.44 ERA in six starts since 2008. His finest outing against Seattle came in his most recent start: a one-run compete-game effort earlier this season.
Recently, though, Lester has lost a little bit of his shine in the midst of a very up-and-down season. In his past two outings, the 28-year-old has pitched deep into the game, but he’s also taken a fair amount of damage in the process, giving up three runs in seven innings against the Royals and then five runs over eight innings in a complete-game loss against the Angels.
Against the current Mariners lineup, Lester has pitched well and should head into game with positive matchups against the three batters with the most experience against him: Frankin Gutierrez, Chone Figgins and Miguel Olivo. Gutierrez and Olivo are batting .167 in a combined 30 at-bats against Lester. Figgins has hit .333 against Lester but has not faced him since 2010 and has gone on to bat .187 against the rest of the league in the two seasons since.
Taking the hill opposite Lester will be 23-year-old righty Blake Beavan. As he enters the final month of his second major league season, Beaven has posted a 9-8 record with a 4.95 ERA, earning a win after giving up two runs over seven innings in his most recent start.
Like Lester, Beavan has had an inconsistent season, starting the year with a 3.60 ERA over his first four starts before getting optioned to Triple-A Tacoma following a disastrous June. Since returning to the big leagues, Beavan has posted solid numbers: 6-2 with a 3.90 ERA in nine starts.
Beavan will be a sight for sore eyes for a Red Sox lineup that hasn’t had much production as of late. Against Beavan, who is 0-3 with a 6.35 ERA in three starts, the current Red Sox lineup enters the game batting .357 against him with an OPS of .831. The player who’s likely happiest about the matchup is Dustin Pedroia, with his .889 OPS against Beavan.
Red Sox vs. Beavan (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (10 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.556 SLG, 2 doubles, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 RBIs
Mike Aviles (5): .500/.400/.750, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .600/.600/.600, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (2): .000/.500/.000
James Loney (1): .000/.000/.000
Mariners vs. Lester (LHP)
Franklin Gutierrez (19 plate appearances): .167 BA/.211 OBP/.167 SLG, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts
Chone Figgins (17): .333/.353/.467, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Miguel Olivo (12) .167/.167/.167, 1 RBI, 5 strikeouts
Jesus Montero (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Justin Smoak (9): .286/.286/.429, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Brendan Ryan (9): .333/.333/.667, 2 doubles
Michael Saunders (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Eric Thames (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Dustin Ackley (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 strikeout
Kyle Seager (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: Swihart makes major league debut
- Cup of Coffee: Rafael Devers explodes at the plate, Brian Johnson stumbles
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd