Tuesday’s Red Sox-Mariners matchups: Jon Lester vs. Blake Beavan
|09.04.12 at 9:08 am ET|
Historically, Lester (8-11, 5.01 ERA) has posted tremendous numbers against Seattle. After a couple of rough starts in his first two years in the majors, Lester has rebounded against the Mariners, going 3-2 with a 2.44 ERA in six starts since 2008. His finest outing against Seattle came in his most recent start: a one-run compete-game effort earlier this season.
Recently, though, Lester has lost a little bit of his shine in the midst of a very up-and-down season. In his past two outings, the 28-year-old has pitched deep into the game, but he’s also taken a fair amount of damage in the process, giving up three runs in seven innings against the Royals and then five runs over eight innings in a complete-game loss against the Angels.
Against the current Mariners lineup, Lester has pitched well and should head into game with positive matchups against the three batters with the most experience against him: Frankin Gutierrez, Chone Figgins and Miguel Olivo. Gutierrez and Olivo are batting .167 in a combined 30 at-bats against Lester. Figgins has hit .333 against Lester but has not faced him since 2010 and has gone on to bat .187 against the rest of the league in the two seasons since.
Taking the hill opposite Lester will be 23-year-old righty Blake Beavan. As he enters the final month of his second major league season, Beaven has posted a 9-8 record with a 4.95 ERA, earning a win after giving up two runs over seven innings in his most recent start.
Like Lester, Beavan has had an inconsistent season, starting the year with a 3.60 ERA over his first four starts before getting optioned to Triple-A Tacoma following a disastrous June. Since returning to the big leagues, Beavan has posted solid numbers: 6-2 with a 3.90 ERA in nine starts.
Beavan will be a sight for sore eyes for a Red Sox lineup that hasn’t had much production as of late. Against Beavan, who is 0-3 with a 6.35 ERA in three starts, the current Red Sox lineup enters the game batting .357 against him with an OPS of .831. The player who’s likely happiest about the matchup is Dustin Pedroia, with his .889 OPS against Beavan.
Red Sox vs. Beavan (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (10 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.556 SLG, 2 doubles, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 RBIs
Mike Aviles (5): .500/.400/.750, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .600/.600/.600, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (2): .000/.500/.000
James Loney (1): .000/.000/.000
Mariners vs. Lester (LHP)
Franklin Gutierrez (19 plate appearances): .167 BA/.211 OBP/.167 SLG, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts
Chone Figgins (17): .333/.353/.467, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Miguel Olivo (12) .167/.167/.167, 1 RBI, 5 strikeouts
Jesus Montero (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Justin Smoak (9): .286/.286/.429, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Brendan Ryan (9): .333/.333/.667, 2 doubles
Michael Saunders (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Eric Thames (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Dustin Ackley (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 strikeout
Kyle Seager (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller