Red Sox Minor League Roundup: Deven Marrero’s finishing kick, Mike Augliera’s relentless attack of the strike zone
|09.05.12 at 1:00 pm ET|
Just two Red Sox affiliates continue to play, with the Lowell Spinners set to wrap up their year in Brooklyn on Wednesday and Triple-A Pawtucket at home tonight for the opener of a best-of-five playoff game against Scranton Wilkes-Barre.
TRIPLE-A PAWTUCKET: OFF DAY
— The PawSox play Game 1 of the best-of-five first round playoff series against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Yankees) tonight at McCoy Stadium at 7:05 pm. The PawSox, who clinched a wild card berth in the season’s final weekend, are looking for their first Governor’s Cup title since 1984 and their first playoff series win since 2003. Tickets are available here.
SHORT-SEASON SINGLE-A LOWELL SPINNERS: 9-1 WIN AT BROOKLYN (METS)
— Deven Marrero continued his strong season-ending kick, going 2-for-5 with a double while knocking in two. In 19 games since Aug. 11, he’s hitting .351 (fifth in the New York-Penn League) with a .415 OBP (ninth), .500 slugging mark (ninth) and .915 OPS (sixth).
The Red Sox typically take the view that a player’s performance — good, bad or in between — in his first pro summer is meaningless. They can point to a player like Bryce Brentz, who couldn’t hit at all while playing for Lowell in the summer after being drafted and then blasted 30 homers the following year, as an example.
Nonetheless, Marrero has delivered largely as advertised in his first taste of pro ball. The No. 24 overall pick of the first round showed a high baseball IQ and good actions at shortstop, and generally showed a solid line drive approach with some gap-to-gap doubles power (which has the potential to increase and translate to a few homers over time), good plate discipline (his 34 walks ranked seventh in the league) and the ability to run (his 24 steals were second in the New York-Penn League).
He has at least a chance to deliver offensive impact in a few different facets of the game. If he can continue to do so in full-season ball, then given his defensive abilities, Marrero will have a good chance to evolve into the kind of player that the Red Sox hoped for when they drafted him — a player with an above-average all-around skill set at shortstop. Certainly, the fashion in which he is ending 2012 is promising in that regard.
— Right-hander Austin Maddox, the Sox’ third-round pick in this year’s draft, made his first and only appearance for Lowell on Tuesday an impressive one. The right-hander tossed three shutout innings in which he allowed two hits, walked one and struck out four. Overall, as he acclimated to the rotation (after a college career as a closer) in three outings in the Rookie Level GCL and one in Lowell, Maddox allowed one run in eight innings while striking out eighth and walking two. He gave up six hits.
— Right-hander Mike Augliera tossed a season-high 3 1/3 innings of shutout ball, striking out three and walking none. He finished his season with 43 strikeouts and just three walks in 38 2/3 innings. Among pitches with at least 30 innings pitched in the league, his 0.7 walks per nine innings was the second-lowest mark, and his 14.3 strikeouts per walk represented the best such ratio in the league. Though he finished the year with a 4.42 ERA owing to some rough outings early in the season, Augliera finished with a 0.99 ERA in his last nine appearances spanning 27 1/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins