Wednesday’s Red Sox-Mariners matchups: Aaron Cook vs. Kevin Millwood
|09.05.12 at 1:41 pm ET|
Cook (3-8, 5.35 ERA) is coming off of an abysmal start against the Athletics when he gave up six runs in 2 2/3 innings in what would eventually became a 20-2 drubbing. The loss became the landmark poor pitching performance from the team’s losing streak.
Wednesday’s game, however, could not present the right-hander with a better matchup with which he can bounce back from his rough outing. In his career against the current Mariners lineup, Cook has surrendered just three hits and no walks over 36 innings, good for a .083 average. The only damage that anyone on the Mariners roster had done to Cook in the past was a solo home run from Miguel Olivo and singles from Brendan Ryan and John Jaso, with the rest of the team going hitless, including Chone Figgins, who has faced Cook 10 times.
Cook’s only career appearance against Seattle came earlier this season in what was by far his best start since joining the Red Sox: a complete-game two-hitter on June 29. The shutout is made more impressive by the fact that Cook needed just 81 pitches to mow down the Mariners in 29 at-bats. To compare, Josh Beckett needed 83 pitchers to get through 4 1/3 innings in his first start of the season against Detroit.
After facing a string of younger starters against Oakland and then Tuesday night with Blake Beavan, the Red Sox will go up against one of the league’s longest tenured starters in 37-year-old Kevin Millwood. While not quite as up there in age as Jamie Moyer, Millwood has been in the major leagues since 1997 and has served as a serviceable starter for four different clubs in the last four seasons.
Millwood (4-12, 4.38 ERA) has been up-and-down so far in 2012 and has fallen victim to some poor run support from his offense and some rough outings en route to his 4-12 record. Millwood’s 12 losses are tied for eighth in the league, along with Beckett.
The Sox offense, which scored at least four runs for just the second time this road trip in Tuesday night’s win, looks to have a solid matchup against Millwood. As a group, the Red Sox have hit .291 against Millwood while getting on base on a .329 rate. Scott Podsednik in particular has a long and successful history against Millwood, batting .300 against him in 30 at-bats.
Red Sox vs. Millwood (RHP)
Scott Podsednik (31 plate appearances): .300 BA/.333 OBP/.300 SLG, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (21): .211 BA/.286 OBP/.263 SLG, 1 double, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (14): .231/.286/.462, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 RBIs
Mike Aviles (11): .273/.273/.273, 2 strikeouts
James Loney (8): .571/.625/1.143, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk
Ryan Kalish (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (3): .333/.333/.333
Mariners vs. Cook (RHP)
Chone Figgins (10 plate appearances): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 3 strikeouts
Brendan Ryan (6): .167/.167/.167
Miguel Olivo (5) .200/.200/.800, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Dustin Ackley (3): .000/.000/.000
John Jaso (3): .333/.333/.333
Jesus Montero (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Kyle Seager (3): .000/.000/.000
Justin Smoak (3): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins