Potential Red Sox 2013 draft pick: Arkansas pitcher Ryne Stanek
|09.09.12 at 7:54 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Red Sox when it comes to the 2013 MLB draft. For the first time since 1993, the Red Sox have a top-10 selection and will be drafting seventh. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Red Sox to make a selection.
Born: July 26, 1991
Height/weight: 6-foot-4, 180 pounds
2013 Class: Junior
Previously drafted: 2010, third round, Mariners
Achievements: 2012 USA Baseball collegiate national team, 2012 All-SEC, 2012 Golden Spikes Award watch list, 2012 National Pitcher of the Year watch list, 2012 Baseball America Preseason All-American third team, 2012 College Baseball Insider All-America third team, 2011 USA Baseball collegiate national team
What he brings: This big righty isn’t lacking velocity. He has a mid-90s fastball that can touch 97 mph on the radar gun. Stanek has a quickly developing mid-80s slider that, when it is on, is devastating to opposing hitters. His changeup floats in the mid 80s. It is a solid pitch that he is improving.
Previously, mechanics have been a cause for concern. His issues appear to have been worked out. Both big in stature and with good to great stuff on the mound, Stanek figures to be one of, if not the very first pitcher selected in the 2013 draft.
Notes: Stanek’s improvement is obvious from his freshman year to his sophomore season with the Razorbacks. In 2011 as a freshman, he appeared in 15 games, starting 12 of them. He posted a 4-2 record with one save and a 3.94 ERA. More impressive, opposing hitters batted just .213 off him, which ranked him fourth in the SEC in opponent’s batting average.
In his 2012 season, the sophomore Stanek exhibited more dominance on the mound. In 17 games he recorded an 8-4 record with a 2.82 ERA. He struck out 83 batters in 92 2/3 innings of work. Once again batters struggled to get hits off of Stanek, as he posted a .229 batting average against.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade