Potential Red Sox 2013 draft pick: Indiana State LHP Sean Manaea
|09.13.12 at 11:25 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Red Sox when it comes to the 2013 MLB draft. For the first time since 1993, the Red Sox have a top-10 selection and will be drafting seventh. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Red Sox to make a selection.
School: Indiana State
Born: Feb. 1, 1992
Height/weight: 6-foot-5, 215 pounds
2013 Class: Junior
Previously drafted: Never drafted
Achievements: 2012 Cape Cod League Outstanding Pro Prospect Award, 2012 Cape Cod League Pitcher of the Year, 2012 Cape Cod League All-Star, 2012 All-MVC second team, 2011 Prospect League All-Star, 2011 No. 1 Prospect in the Prospect League by Perfect Game
What he brings: Other than his fastball, which sits consistently at 91-92 mph with occasional spikes as high as 96, Manaea needs to develop his secondary pitches a bit further. It has been noted that he does have issues sustaining his velocity deep into games.
His slider is good when it is on, as is his change. Historically his problem has been consistency.
Notes: Manaea had a modest prospect profile before an absolutely dominant summer in the Cape League vaulted him among the top prospects entering the 2012 draft. He posted a 5-1 record with a 1.22 ERA in nine Cape League games, eight of which were starts. In 51 2/3 innings of work he allowed only 21 hits, three home runs and seven walks while striking out a remarkable 85 batters (which equates to a 14.8 K/9 ratio) — surpassing the 82 punchouts that Daniel Bard had in 2005 for the most in a summer by a Cape League in what was described as “recent memory” — while walking just seven and forging an incredible 0.55 WHIP.
His 2012 numbers with Indiana State were solid but far less glamorous. He had a 5-3 record, a 3.34 ERA, 115 strikeouts and 37 walks in 105 innings in the Missouri Valley Conference — part of the reason why his Cape League dominance yielded a dramatic increase in his prospect stock.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot