Ryan Lavarnway has reached a milestone he called one of his ‘highest priorities’
|09.18.12 at 10:13 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. ‘ Ryan Lavarnway wasn’t catching Tuesday night, but no matter. He had managed to hit his milestone.
By catching in the Red Sox‘ win over the Rays Monday night, Lavarnway attained one of his chief goals heading into the 2012 season ‘ he caught his 100th game.
‘It says something about staying healthy,’ the 25-year-old said. ‘This was one of my highest priorities and foremost goals coming into this season, catching 100 games.’
Making the feat even more impressive was that Lavarnway hadn’t caught more than 70 games in any previous season, totaling that career-high between the big leagues and the minors in ‘11.
This season, Lavarway was given the opportunity to serve as the Pawtucket Red Sox’ primary backstop, catching 80 games while serving as the PawSox’ DH just three times.
With the Red Sox, Lavarnway ‘ who weighs in at 236 pounds compared to the 254 he was at last September ‘ has caught 20 games while manning the designated hitter role 12 games.
As a point of reference, the Red Sox’ everyday catchers for the past three seasons have totaled the following number of games behind the plate: Jason Varitek, 2009, 108; Victor Martinez, ’10, 110; Jarrod Saltamacchia, ’11, 101.
‘I was very intimidated by it because at this point last year I felt terrible,’ he said. ‘I caught 62 games but I had gotten a lot more at-bats because I was DHing every day. But I can definitely say I feel better at this point than I did last year. I haven’t put on weight, I’ve stayed fit, I have better pre and post game routine, getting my body ready. I haven’t had a drink since January, because that isn’t going to help. I’m eating better.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland