Bobby Valentine: Jacoby Ellsbury dealing with ‘a little situation’
|09.21.12 at 5:19 pm ET|
Jacoby Ellsbury was not in the Red Sox’ lineup Friday, with Bobby Valentine saying the center fielder is dealing with some undisclosed plain.
“He has a little situation that we’re making sure is nothing more than a little situation,” Valentine said. “He really shouldn’t have played yesterday.”
Added Valentine: “He’s just got a little — I’m not even sure how to define it, so I’m not going to to try.”
- The Red Sox also made some call-ups Friday, recalling third baseman Danny Valencia and pitchers Pedro Beato and Zach Stewart.
Stewart will get a start “coming up next week” in place of Daisuke Matsuzaka according to Valentine, possibly next Friday. He’ll throw on Tuesday. Valentine said that Valencia and Beato will be ready to be used as needed.
Aside from Matsuzaka getting skipped, there aren’t any current changes expected to come to the rotation. As is, there are no plans of shutting anybody down.
- In addition to the players called up, the Red Sox have also brought up Pawtucket manager Arnie Beyeler and pitching coach Rich Sauveur fresh off a trip to the Triple-A championship.
“Really good guys,” Valentine said of the coaches. “Really great baseball men who both came off a season with a lot of the guys who are on our team playing for them on and off and winning a championship. I’m going to use them as much as I can to help define what I’m looking at as often as possible. They’re really good guys. I really enjoyed being with them in the spring, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy having them here. It gets a little crowded in that coaches room, and I even offered them my office.”
- Valentine had planned on giving Dustin Pedroia the day off given that the team got in early this morning and Pedroia has a newborn, but the second baseman insisted upon being in the lineup.
“I know him with family and business, but he really wanted to play today,” Valentine said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson keep rolling, Blair hits game-winner
- Scouting Scratch: Allen Webster and Dalier Hinojosa
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket's offense explodes, Portland swept
- Cup of Coffee: Knuckleballer Wright cruises in Pawtucket, Portland drops two
- Red Sox call up Christian Vazquez
- Scouting Scratch: Early reports from Lowell
- Players of the Week, 6/30-7/6: Trey Ball & Rafael Devers
- Cup of Coffee: Devers leads the way in GCL doubleheader split
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Five Sea Dogs make Eastern League All-Star team