Bobby Valentine: Jacoby Ellsbury dealing with ‘a little situation’
|09.21.12 at 5:19 pm ET|
“He has a little situation that we’re making sure is nothing more than a little situation,” Valentine said. “He really shouldn’t have played yesterday.”
Added Valentine: “He’s just got a little — I’m not even sure how to define it, so I’m not going to to try.”
– The Red Sox also made some call-ups Friday, recalling third baseman Danny Valencia and pitchers Pedro Beato and Zach Stewart.
Stewart will get a start “coming up next week” in place of Daisuke Matsuzaka according to Valentine, possibly next Friday. He’ll throw on Tuesday. Valentine said that Valencia and Beato will be ready to be used as needed.
Aside from Matsuzaka getting skipped, there aren’t any current changes expected to come to the rotation. As is, there are no plans of shutting anybody down.
– In addition to the players called up, the Red Sox have also brought up Pawtucket manager Arnie Beyeler and pitching coach Rich Sauveur fresh off a trip to the Triple-A championship.
“Really good guys,” Valentine said of the coaches. “Really great baseball men who both came off a season with a lot of the guys who are on our team playing for them on and off and winning a championship. I’m going to use them as much as I can to help define what I’m looking at as often as possible. They’re really good guys. I really enjoyed being with them in the spring, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy having them here. It gets a little crowded in that coaches room, and I even offered them my office.”
– Valentine had planned on giving Dustin Pedroia the day off given that the team got in early this morning and Pedroia has a newborn, but the second baseman insisted upon being in the lineup.
“I know him with family and business, but he really wanted to play today,” Valentine said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system