Bobby Valentine: Jacoby Ellsbury dealing with ‘a little situation’
|09.21.12 at 5:19 pm ET|
“He has a little situation that we’re making sure is nothing more than a little situation,” Valentine said. “He really shouldn’t have played yesterday.”
Added Valentine: “He’s just got a little — I’m not even sure how to define it, so I’m not going to to try.”
– The Red Sox also made some call-ups Friday, recalling third baseman Danny Valencia and pitchers Pedro Beato and Zach Stewart.
Stewart will get a start “coming up next week” in place of Daisuke Matsuzaka according to Valentine, possibly next Friday. He’ll throw on Tuesday. Valentine said that Valencia and Beato will be ready to be used as needed.
Aside from Matsuzaka getting skipped, there aren’t any current changes expected to come to the rotation. As is, there are no plans of shutting anybody down.
– In addition to the players called up, the Red Sox have also brought up Pawtucket manager Arnie Beyeler and pitching coach Rich Sauveur fresh off a trip to the Triple-A championship.
“Really good guys,” Valentine said of the coaches. “Really great baseball men who both came off a season with a lot of the guys who are on our team playing for them on and off and winning a championship. I’m going to use them as much as I can to help define what I’m looking at as often as possible. They’re really good guys. I really enjoyed being with them in the spring, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy having them here. It gets a little crowded in that coaches room, and I even offered them my office.”
– Valentine had planned on giving Dustin Pedroia the day off given that the team got in early this morning and Pedroia has a newborn, but the second baseman insisted upon being in the lineup.
“I know him with family and business, but he really wanted to play today,” Valentine said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington