Friday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Aaron Cook vs. Chris Tillman
|09.28.12 at 11:10 am ET|
The Red Sox hit the road for their final six games of the season with a chance to play spoiler against the AL East’s top two teams. They begin a three-game series with the surprising Orioles at Camden Yards on Friday night before heading to New York to finish out the season with three games against the division-leading Yankees. Aaron Cook (4-10, 5.13 ERA) is on the mound Friday and looks to help the Sox avoid a seventh loss in eight games.
Cook pitched last Saturday against the Orioles and allowed five runs on nine hits over 5 1/3 innings. The Sox lost that game in 12 innings, 9-6. Cook hasn’t fared well against the Orioles this season at 0-2 with an 8.78 ERA in three starts.
Orioles catcher Matt Wieters has five hits in eight appearances against Cook lifetime, including four doubles. Mark Reynolds, who has faced Cook the most among active Orioles, has two home runs lifetime.
Chris Tillman (8-2, 3.08) takes the hill for the Orioles. He has been strong in recent outings with a 1.64 ERA over his past four starts. He started against the Sox this past Sunday, allowing one run and six hits over six innings. The Orioles won that game 2-1, although Tillman did not factor in the decision.
Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia is 4-for-10 lifetime against Tillman. He’s the only active Sox player with double-figure at-bats vs. Tillman.
The Orioles, a game behind the Yankees and in first in the race for the wild card, lead the season series against Boston 10-5 and are 20 games ahead of the Sox.
Red Sox vs. Tillman (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (11 plate appearances): .400 BA/.455 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 RBI
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.167
Danny Valencia (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 RBI
Pedro Ciriaco (5): .250/.400/.250
Scott Podsednik (5): .400/.400/.400, 3 strikeouts
Cody Ross (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .200/.200/.400, 1 RBI
James Loney (3): .500/.667/.500
Mike Aviles (2): .500/.500/.500
Jose Iglesias (2): .000/.000/.000
Daniel Nava (2): .500/.500/.500
Orioles vs. Cook (RHP)
Mark Rynolds (29 plate appearances): .240 BA/.310 OBP/.600 SLG, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs, 10 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (24): .200/.304/.250, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Endy Chavez (16): .313/.313/.375, 3 strikeouts
Jim Thome (12): .000/.250/.000, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Wilson Betemit (11): .556/.636/.889, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Bill Hall (11): .500/.545/.600
J.J. Hardy (8): .143/.250/.143, 1 walk
Adam Jones (8): .125/.125/.500, 1 home run, 4 RBIs
Matt Wieters (8): .714/.750/1.286, 4 doubles, 1 RBI
Chris Davis (7): .571/.571/.571
Manny Machado (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 1 RBI
Nick Markakis (5): .333/.600/.333
Robert Andino (2): .000/.000/.000
Ryan Flaherty (2): 1.000/1.000/2.000
Omar Quintanilla (2): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins