Miguel Tejada to play in Dominican, but will Manny Ramirez?
|09.28.12 at 10:04 pm ET|
On Monday, Peter Gammons of NESN and MLB Network reported (via twitter) that “Aguilas is expecting Manny Ramirez to play for them this winter.” Rich Sauveur, the pitching coach for Triple-A Pawtucket who will serve in the same role for Aguilas, said that he was aware of the rumor but could not attest to its veracity.
“I did hear that he was [going to play], but I’ve also heard that he is not. So I can’t verify that,” said Sauveur, who is currently assisting the Red Sox coaching staff with the PawSox’ season having concluded.
Ramirez signed a minor league deal with the A’s last offseason, but after hitting .302 with a .348 OBP and .349 slugging mark in 17 games for Triple-A Sacramento, he was released. Sauveur suggested that, if last winter is any indication, anything is possible this coming winter with Ramirez.
“I did see him a couple times last year,” said Sauveur. “Manny did not play, but he was in the dugout. He just showed up for a couple of games, but not in uniform.”
Sauveur did say that 2002 AL MVP Miguel Tejada is playing for Aguilas this winter. Tejada, 38, was released after playing 36 games this year for Baltimore’s Triple-A affiliate.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday