Miguel Tejada to play in Dominican, but will Manny Ramirez?
|09.28.12 at 10:04 pm ET|
On Monday, Peter Gammons of NESN and MLB Network reported (via twitter) that “Aguilas is expecting Manny Ramirez to play for them this winter.” Rich Sauveur, the pitching coach for Triple-A Pawtucket who will serve in the same role for Aguilas, said that he was aware of the rumor but could not attest to its veracity.
“I did hear that he was [going to play], but I’ve also heard that he is not. So I can’t verify that,” said Sauveur, who is currently assisting the Red Sox coaching staff with the PawSox’ season having concluded.
Ramirez signed a minor league deal with the A’s last offseason, but after hitting .302 with a .348 OBP and .349 slugging mark in 17 games for Triple-A Sacramento, he was released. Sauveur suggested that, if last winter is any indication, anything is possible this coming winter with Ramirez.
“I did see him a couple times last year,” said Sauveur. “Manny did not play, but he was in the dugout. He just showed up for a couple of games, but not in uniform.”
Sauveur did say that 2002 AL MVP Miguel Tejada is playing for Aguilas this winter. Tejada, 38, was released after playing 36 games this year for Baltimore’s Triple-A affiliate.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again