Saturday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Steve Johnson
|09.29.12 at 9:11 am ET|
The Sox and Orioles continue their weekend series in Baltimore on Saturday night. The Orioles continue the hunt for first place in the AL East and the Sox are trying to play spoilers.
The Sox will send Felix Doubront (11-9, 4.91 ERA) to the hill. Doubront had his best outing of September last week against the Orioles at Fenway Park. Doubront received no decision after seven innings in which he allowed four hits with a season-high 11 strikeouts. This followed a good start against the Rays, which marked Doubront’s first win since July 18.
Doubront has given up 70 walks this season, the most on the Sox. All of the added baserunners could explain his near-5.00 ERA.
Orioles outfielder Nick Markakis has done well against Doubront, with hits in three of his four at-bats against the Sox lefty. This is Doubront’s second start against the Orioles this season.
The Orioles counter with Steve Johnson (4-0, 1.62 ERA), the right-handed rookie called up in July. He’s been impressive in four starts as well as a number of relief appearances for the Orioles. He has recorded 43 strikeouts in just 33 1/3 innings of work.
Johnson’s last appearance, against the Blue Jays on Monday, was strong as he went five scoreless innings, striking out six.
Red Sox vs. Johnson (RHP)
Jacoby Ellsbury (1 plate appearance): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Orioles vs. Doubront (LHP)
Chris Davis (8 plate appearances): .375 BA/.375 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 double
Adam Jones (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 doubles, 3 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (8): .000/.125/.000, 5 strikeouts
Robert Andino (7): .000/.000/.000, 5 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (4): .750/.750/.750
Wilson Betemit (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Lew Ford (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Manny Machado (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 RBI
Nate McLouth (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Mark Reynolds (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Xavier Avery (2): .000/.000/.000
Steven Tolleson (2): .500/.500/2.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?