Sunday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Zach Stewart vs. Joe Saunders
|09.30.12 at 8:48 am ET|
The Sox and Orioles finish up their season series with a 1:35 p.m. start on Sunday. The Orioles look to continue their winning ways against the Sox before they head to Tampa Bay for a three-game series with the Rays, who sit just a few games back in the wild card standings. The Sox head to New York with hopes of ruining a first-place finish for the Yankees in the AL East.
The Sox on Sunday will give the ball to Zach Stewart (1-3, 7.91 ERA overall this season, 0-1, 27.00 with Boston). Steward came to Boston at the end of June as part of the Kevin Youkilis trade. Stewart started just one game for the White Sox, going 5 2/3 innings against the Cubs on June 18 and giving up six runs, including four home runs, in taking the loss.
In his only start in a Red Sox uniform, Stewart performed poorly, going just three innings against the Angels on Aug. 29 and allowing nine earned runs on 10 hits. He then was sent to Pawtucket to make room for Daniel Bard.
The Orioles haven’t seen much of Stewart. Shortstop J.J. Hardy has hit a home run and a double off Stewart in four at-bats. Catcher Matt Wieters, who missed Friday’s game due to the birth of his son, has faced Stewart once and hit a grand slam.
Joe Saunders (8-13, 4.09 ERA overall this season, 2-3, 3.62 with the O’s) will pitch for Baltimore. He was traded to the Orioles on Aug. 26 from the Diamondbacks. Saunders was 6-10 with a 4.22 ERA in 21 starts with the Diamondbacks this season. Prior to his two-year stint in Arizona, Saunders pitched for the Angels.
In his last outing, Saunders pitched against the Blue Jays on Sept. 25 and allowed three earned runs on 11 hits through 6 1/3 innings. His strongest outing of the month came Sept. 19 against the Mariners. Saunders allowed just one run through eight innings of work in that game, although he did not factor in the decision.
Of current Sox batters, James Loney has the most at-bats against Saunders, as the two previously faced each other in the National League. Loney has two home runs and six RBIs in 27 at-bats against the lefty. Second baseman Dustin Pedroia also has hit well against Saunders with eight hits, including two doubles, in 27 at-bats.
Red Sox vs. Saunders (LHP)
James Loney (29 plate appearances): .296 BA/.345 OBP/.556 SLG, 1 double, 2 home runs, 6 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (27): .296/.296/.370, 2 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (15): .231/.333/.231, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Scott Podsednik (11): .364/.364/.364, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (11): .091/.091/.091, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Mike Aviles (6): .200/.200/.400, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (6): .500/.667/1.000, 2 doubles, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Ivan De Jesus (3): .333/.333/.333
Orioles vs. Stewart (RHP)
J.J. Hardy (4 plate appearances): .750 BA/.750 OBP/1.750 SLG, 1 double, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Adam Jones (4): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 strikeout
Mark Reynolds (4): .500/.750/.500, 1 walk
Jim Thome (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 walk
Robert Andino (2): .500/.500/.500
Chris Davis (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 RBI
Nate McLouth (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Matt Wieters (1): 1.000/1.000/4.000, 1 home run, 4 RBIs
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill