Tuesday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Jon Lester vs. David Phelps
|10.02.12 at 3:00 pm ET|
After being swept by the Orioles over the weekend and after a disappointing start to the series with the Yankees, the Sox look to make it through the final two games with a chance to reach 70 wins on the season.
Jon Lester (9-14, 4.94 ERA) takes the ball for the final time this season. In a season that included the departure of Josh Beckett, many expected Lester would step up and be the Sox’ No. 1 starter. However, Lester has walked 67 batters and his ERA is nearly 5.00.
Lester has lost his last three starts, though he lacked run support. On Sept. 16, Lester gave up three runs in seven innings against the Blue Jays and the Sox lost that game 5-0. On Sept. 21, he pitched seven innings and allowed four runs against the Orioles. The Sox lost that game 4-2. In his most recent start, last Wednesday, Lester allowed just three runs through six innings. The Sox lost that game 4-2. His last win was against the Mariners on Sept. 4 when he went six innings and allowed three runs.
The Yankees send David Phelps (4-4, 3.34) to the mound. Phelps began the season in the bullpen, appearing in middle relief. His last appearance was in relief against the Blue Jays last Thursday. He pitched 1 2/3 innings and allowed two runs in a game the Yankees won 11-4. His last start was Sept. 19 in the nightcap of a doubleheader against the Jays. He had a strong outing, going 6 2/3 innings allowing just one run and striking out six in a game the Yankees won 2-1.
Red Sox vs. Phelps (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (9 plate appearances): .333 AVG/.333 OBP/.444 SLG, 1 double
Cody Ross (8): .125/.125/.500, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Pedro Ciriaco (7): .429/.429/.429
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Scott Podsednik (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (4): 1.000/1.000/2.000, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 walk
Mike Aviles (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Ryan Lavarnway (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jose Iglesias (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
James Loney (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Daniel Nava (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Yankees vs. Lester (LHP)
Derek Jeter (66 plate appearances): .333 AVG/.394 OBP/.400 SLG, 1 home run, 8 RBIs, 11 strikeout
Robinson Cano (60): .218/.267/.291, 4 doubles, 5 RBIs, 4 walks
Nick Swisher (54): .318/.415/.568, 5 doubles, 2 home runs, 8 RBIs
Mark Teixeria (44): .250/.318/.350, 1 home run, 4 RBIs
Alex Rodriguez (43): .179/.256/.513
Andruw Jones (39): .276/.436/.379, 6 RBIs, 9 walks
Ichiro Suzuki (35): .294/.314/.471,2 home runs, 3 RBIs
Curtis Granderson (34): .267/.353/.500, 2 home runs, 4 RBIs
Jayson Nix (24): .333/.391/.857, 5 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Russell Martin (19): .231/.474/.308, 2 RBIs, 5 walks
Raul Ibanez (12): .333/.333/.500, 2 doubles, 5 strikeouts
Casey McGehee (7): .143/.143/.143
Eduardo Nunez (7): .167/.286/.167, 1 walk
Brett Gardner (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Francisco Cervelli (5): .250/.400/.250
Chris Stewart (4): .500/.333/2.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash