As season winds down, Bobby Valentine jabs at Red Sox medical secrecy
|10.03.12 at 10:05 am ET|
NEW YORK — Thought Bobby Valentine would use the final three days of the season in Yankee Stadium as a forum in which to lob grenades at his team prior to his near-certain and imminent dismissal? Hasn’t happened. But the manager has taken a couple of less direct shots at some elements of the team.
At or near the top of the list in terms of his criticism has been the team’s culture of medical secrecy. On Tuesday, for instance, Valentine said that left-hander Jon Lester had to leave the game after the fifth inning due to spasms. Asked whether he experienced back spasms, Valentine responded, “They hate for me to say what it is,” before muttering, “Stupid.”
There have been a number of oblique shots at the cloak-and-dagger treatment of medical information of late. When asked about the injury keeping Dustin Pedroia out of the lineup on Monday (a broken ring finger, as it turned out), Valentine responded sarcastically, “God, I’d hate to give away secrets like that. The enemy will then be apprised of the situation.” Asked last week at Fenway Park for an update on center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury‘s status, Valentine playfully banged his head into the microphone in the media interview room.
It’s not exactly the pyrotechnics that some anticipated in the final games of the season. But as Valentine’s time as Red Sox manager nears its all-but-official conclusion, he appears to be pointing to some of his organizational frustrations, albeit in less-than-explosive fashion.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies