As season winds down, Bobby Valentine jabs at Red Sox medical secrecy
|10.03.12 at 10:05 am ET|
NEW YORK — Thought Bobby Valentine would use the final three days of the season in Yankee Stadium as a forum in which to lob grenades at his team prior to his near-certain and imminent dismissal? Hasn’t happened. But the manager has taken a couple of less direct shots at some elements of the team.
At or near the top of the list in terms of his criticism has been the team’s culture of medical secrecy. On Tuesday, for instance, Valentine said that left-hander Jon Lester had to leave the game after the fifth inning due to spasms. Asked whether he experienced back spasms, Valentine responded, “They hate for me to say what it is,” before muttering, “Stupid.”
There have been a number of oblique shots at the cloak-and-dagger treatment of medical information of late. When asked about the injury keeping Dustin Pedroia out of the lineup on Monday (a broken ring finger, as it turned out), Valentine responded sarcastically, “God, I’d hate to give away secrets like that. The enemy will then be apprised of the situation.” Asked last week at Fenway Park for an update on center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury‘s status, Valentine playfully banged his head into the microphone in the media interview room.
It’s not exactly the pyrotechnics that some anticipated in the final games of the season. But as Valentine’s time as Red Sox manager nears its all-but-official conclusion, he appears to be pointing to some of his organizational frustrations, albeit in less-than-explosive fashion.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez continues to swing hot bat
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello