Daisuke Matsuzaka sets record for worst ERA by Red Sox starter
|10.03.12 at 8:18 pm ET|
NEW YORK — Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka was hammered for five runs on six hits in just 2 1/3 innings on Wednesday night in New York, and as the right-hander walked off the mound in what was likely his final appearances as a Red Sox, Matsuzaka — who will be a free agent this winter — took with him an ignominious record.
With his yield, he finished the year with an 8.28 ERA — the highest ever by a Red Sox starter who made at least 10 starts in a season. Indeed, the mark is the 18th highest in major league history by a pitcher making 10 or more starts.
Assuming he takes the loss on Wednesday, Matsuzaka would close the book on his six-year, $52 million deal (which also required the Red Sox to pay a $51.11 million posting fee to the Seibu Lions in Japan) with a 50-37 record and 4.52 ERA in 117 games (116 starts).
After a promising first two seasons with the Sox, in which he went 33-15 with a 3.72 ERA in 61 starts that included victories in Game 7 of the 2007 ALCS and Game 3 of the 2007 World Series and fourth-place finishes in the AL Rookie of the Year voting (2007) and AL Cy Young voting (2008), the remaining tenure of the right-hander’s career was characterized primarily by injuries and also by ineffectiveness. Though he showed occasional flashes of dominance, those became fewer and fewer after 2008. In his final four years with the Sox, he was 17-21 (pending a decision on Wednesday) with a 5.53 ERA that ranked as the third worst in the majors over the last four seasons among pitchers who made at least 50 starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome