Nick Punto on Tim Wallach: ‘He has almost like a Tito-type personality’
|10.11.12 at 11:32 pm ET|
So much so that Punto broke off a question he only directed at a select few.
‘Toward the end of the season I asked him, just because I’m always curious when I see a guy who I think could be a good manager. I said, ‘Hey Wally, one day do you want to be a manager?’ He said, ‘Absolutely.’ That was pretty much the extent of the conversation,’ said Punto by phone Thursday afternoon.
Friday, Wallach is taking a step toward getting his chance.
The 55-year-old will the first to interview for the vacant Red Sox managerial opening, attempting to become a manager for the first time he served as the skipper for the Dodgers’ Triple-A team in Albuquerque from 2009-10.
‘He’s just an awesome baseball guy,’ Punto said. ‘He knows a lot about the game. He’s very personable. He’s a great personality. He relates to all the guys. He’s just a solid baseball man. I think he could do a good job in that role. And I know he wants to be a manager.
‘He never got too high or too low. He was an aggressive third base coach, not afraid to make mistakes. I enjoyed his personality on the baseball field as far as his intent to win the game. But he never did get too high or too low.’
But, as Punto learned in his short time with the Red Sox, there is that other piece of the equation when it comes to managing in Boston, one which exists within very few other big league jobs ‘ dealing with a most unique atmosphere.
‘He could handle it,’ said Punto of Wallach. ‘He has almost like a Tito [Terry Francona] type personality, where guys are going to get along with him. He could handle the media, for sure. He could handle that whole atmosphere, in my opinion.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins