With highest pick in decades, Red Sox add to scouting infrastructure
|11.04.12 at 1:07 pm ET|
The Red Sox are in unfamiliar territory as they prepare for the 2013 draft. For the first time since 1993 and just the second time since 1967, the team will have a top 10 pick in next year’s draft, armed with the No. 7 overall pick as a “reward” for the team’s 69-93 train wreck in 2012. Whereas the team typically could rule out the need to scout the top five to 10 picks in the draft in previous years, that’s not the case this winter entering next spring.
And so, the team is adding to its scouting infrastructure, most notably by bringing back a well-regarded scout who left the organization a few years ago. The team has hired John Booher — who, as a Northwest area scout, was the person most directly involved in the scouting process with first-rounder Jacoby Ellsbury in 2005 and sandwich-round pick Nick Hagadone in 2007 — as a national cross-checker. Booher, who left the Sox after the 2009 season to join the Rangers as a pro scout before he became a regional cross-checker, will join Mike Rikard as a second national cross-checker, in a move intended to give the Sox more personnel to maximize the number of looks the team will get on the broadened pool of talent that it must scout.
While the team has lost former regional cross-checker Tom Allison (who left to become pro scouting director in San Diego), Quincy Boyd (previously the area scout in the Carolinas, who was credited with signing Jackie Bradley Jr.) and Jim Robinson (the area scout in North Texas and North Louisiana, credited with signing several talents including Clay Buchholz, Will Middlebrooks, Kelly Shoppach, David Murphy, Drake Britton, Alex Wilson and Brandon Workman, among others) have both been promoted to the roles of regional cross-checkers.
The team has added former big league pitcher Brian Moehler as a Georgia area scout, and Willie Romay (previously of the MLB Scouting Bureau) as an area scout in Florida.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.