With highest pick in decades, Red Sox add to scouting infrastructure
|11.04.12 at 1:07 pm ET|
The Red Sox are in unfamiliar territory as they prepare for the 2013 draft. For the first time since 1993 and just the second time since 1967, the team will have a top 10 pick in next year’s draft, armed with the No. 7 overall pick as a “reward” for the team’s 69-93 train wreck in 2012. Whereas the team typically could rule out the need to scout the top five to 10 picks in the draft in previous years, that’s not the case this winter entering next spring.
And so, the team is adding to its scouting infrastructure, most notably by bringing back a well-regarded scout who left the organization a few years ago. The team has hired John Booher — who, as a Northwest area scout, was the person most directly involved in the scouting process with first-rounder Jacoby Ellsbury in 2005 and sandwich-round pick Nick Hagadone in 2007 — as a national cross-checker. Booher, who left the Sox after the 2009 season to join the Rangers as a pro scout before he became a regional cross-checker, will join Mike Rikard as a second national cross-checker, in a move intended to give the Sox more personnel to maximize the number of looks the team will get on the broadened pool of talent that it must scout.
While the team has lost former regional cross-checker Tom Allison (who left to become pro scouting director in San Diego), Quincy Boyd (previously the area scout in the Carolinas, who was credited with signing Jackie Bradley Jr.) and Jim Robinson (the area scout in North Texas and North Louisiana, credited with signing several talents including Clay Buchholz, Will Middlebrooks, Kelly Shoppach, David Murphy, Drake Britton, Alex Wilson and Brandon Workman, among others) have both been promoted to the roles of regional cross-checkers.
The team has added former big league pitcher Brian Moehler as a Georgia area scout, and Willie Romay (previously of the MLB Scouting Bureau) as an area scout in Florida.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis blasts three home runs for Salem
- Scouting Scratch: First Look at the Portland Bullpen
- System Restart '17: Middle Infield