With highest pick in decades, Red Sox add to scouting infrastructure
|11.04.12 at 1:07 pm ET|
The Red Sox are in unfamiliar territory as they prepare for the 2013 draft. For the first time since 1993 and just the second time since 1967, the team will have a top 10 pick in next year’s draft, armed with the No. 7 overall pick as a “reward” for the team’s 69-93 train wreck in 2012. Whereas the team typically could rule out the need to scout the top five to 10 picks in the draft in previous years, that’s not the case this winter entering next spring.
And so, the team is adding to its scouting infrastructure, most notably by bringing back a well-regarded scout who left the organization a few years ago. The team has hired John Booher — who, as a Northwest area scout, was the person most directly involved in the scouting process with first-rounder Jacoby Ellsbury in 2005 and sandwich-round pick Nick Hagadone in 2007 — as a national cross-checker. Booher, who left the Sox after the 2009 season to join the Rangers as a pro scout before he became a regional cross-checker, will join Mike Rikard as a second national cross-checker, in a move intended to give the Sox more personnel to maximize the number of looks the team will get on the broadened pool of talent that it must scout.
While the team has lost former regional cross-checker Tom Allison (who left to become pro scouting director in San Diego), Quincy Boyd (previously the area scout in the Carolinas, who was credited with signing Jackie Bradley Jr.) and Jim Robinson (the area scout in North Texas and North Louisiana, credited with signing several talents including Clay Buchholz, Will Middlebrooks, Kelly Shoppach, David Murphy, Drake Britton, Alex Wilson and Brandon Workman, among others) have both been promoted to the roles of regional cross-checkers.
The team has added former big league pitcher Brian Moehler as a Georgia area scout, and Willie Romay (previously of the MLB Scouting Bureau) as an area scout in Florida.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017