Another outfielder signs as Melky Cabrera heads to Blue Jays for two years, $16 million
|11.16.12 at 3:42 pm ET|
Free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera, who put up huge numbers in 2012 before his season came to an end due to a 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball’s drug policy, agreed to a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays. Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com was the first to report the deal.
Cabrera hit .346 with a .390 OBP, .516 slugging percentage and .906 OPS in 113 games for the Giants. Prior to his tremendous 2012 season, he had a career line of .275/.331/.398/.729 in parts of seven years with the Yankees, Braves and Royals. Cabrera turned 28 in August.
With his deal with the Blue Jays, Cabrera became the second prominent free-agent outfielder in recent days to sign with a club, joining Torii Hunter, whose two-year, $26 million deal with the Tigers became official on Friday.
From a Red Sox perspective, given that the team needs two corner outfielders, the disappearance of a pair of options is a less-than-ideal occurrence. Still, the development is hardly surprising, given that Hunter appeared set on signing with either the Tigers or Rangers and Cabrera, according to one industry source, had narrowed the markets he was considering in his return from his suspension. So, the Red Sox were hardly surprised by the fact that neither player ended up with them. At the same time, the fact that Cabrera landed with a division rival — one that has already bolstered its roster with Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle — suggests that the Sox have an even steeper challenge facing them with regards to a Toronto team that is solidifying an ever-deeper roster.
Even so, the outfield market was likely the area where the greatest wealth of options exists this offseason. Among free agent outfielders who remain on the board are Josh Hamilton (though Rob Bradford reports that the Sox’ interest in him is being overstated), Nick Swisher, Cody Ross, B.J. Upton, Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher, Angel Pagan, Ryan Ludwick, Shane Victorino and others.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot