Hot Stove: Are Yankees looking for Alex Rodriguez’ replacement at third base?
|11.24.12 at 2:11 pm ET|
FoxSports.com Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees may be looking for alternatives to Alex Rodriguez at third base, with free agent Jeff Keppinger on New York’s radar. Eric Chavez, who played 50 games at third for the Yanks in 2012, is a free agent.
Rosenthal points out that Cashman has insisted Rodriguez is still entrenched at third base, recently saying, “There is no discussion whatsoever about Alex transitioning from third base to DH, part-time DH, first base or any other position on the field. .. As we approach anyone in the free-agent market or anyone in trades, we’re making sure we have insurance policies, (asking) our what-ifs?”
The 37-year-old Rodriguez played 81 games at third base in ’12 and a career-high 38 games at designated hitter.
Keppinger, 32, played 41 games at third for Tampa Bay in ’12. CBSSports.com also reported the Yankees have interest in free agent infielder Stephen Drew. Rosenthal also raises free agent Marco Scutaro and Detroit shortstop Jhonny Peralta as possible New York targets.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles