Hot Stove: Are Yankees looking for Alex Rodriguez’ replacement at third base?
|11.24.12 at 2:11 pm ET|
FoxSports.com Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees may be looking for alternatives to Alex Rodriguez at third base, with free agent Jeff Keppinger on New York’s radar. Eric Chavez, who played 50 games at third for the Yanks in 2012, is a free agent.
Rosenthal points out that Cashman has insisted Rodriguez is still entrenched at third base, recently saying, “There is no discussion whatsoever about Alex transitioning from third base to DH, part-time DH, first base or any other position on the field. .. As we approach anyone in the free-agent market or anyone in trades, we’re making sure we have insurance policies, (asking) our what-ifs?”
The 37-year-old Rodriguez played 81 games at third base in ’12 and a career-high 38 games at designated hitter.
Keppinger, 32, played 41 games at third for Tampa Bay in ’12. CBSSports.com also reported the Yankees have interest in free agent infielder Stephen Drew. Rosenthal also raises free agent Marco Scutaro and Detroit shortstop Jhonny Peralta as possible New York targets.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?