Fort Myers mayor Randy Henderson: ‘Would have been smarter to let the Red Sox move on’
|11.25.12 at 9:17 am ET|
Fort Myers mayor Randy Henderson told the News-Press that the Lee County region would have been better served to permit the Red Sox to leave the county rather than paying for the construction of a new facility for the Sox, JetBlue Park, which opened in 2012. The decision in 2008 to fund a new Red Sox spring training facility put Lee County on the hook not only for most of the construction expenses related to JetBlue but also obligated the region to fund improvements in the Twins’ facility in Fort Myers. Meanwhile, Lee County is still paying off its debts for the construction of City of Palms Park — the currently vacant facility where the Sox played before moving to JetBlue.
Lee County now faces more than $436 million in ballpark expenses over the next 32 years, according to the News-Press.
“It would have been smarter to let the Red Sox move on,’ Henderson told the News-Press. ‘I would debate that we wouldn’t be any worse off, in fact, I think we would be better off.’
The article also suggested that there is little optimism about the possibility of wooing the Washington Nationals to move to the vacated City of Palms Park.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome