Hot Stove: Mike Napoli tour to swing back through Texas
|11.26.12 at 3:01 pm ET|
According to ESPNDallas.com, free agent Mike Napoli, who met with Red Sox officials (principal owner John Henry, GM Ben Cherington and manager John Farrell) over the weekend, is slated to meet with Rangers officials sometime this week, likely on Wednesday.
Napoli spent the last two years with the Rangers, who acquired him via trade (from the Blue Jays, who had him for four days after a deal with the Angels) prior to the 2011 season, hitting .275/.379/.552/.931 with 54 homers in 221 games while splitting time between catcher, first base and DH in Texas. The 31-year-old made $9.4 million with the Rangers in 2012, but the team declined to make a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer (for the purposes of getting a draft pick should he leave in free agency) to Napoli when he reached free agency this year.
Napoli has known interest from the Red Sox, Rangers and Mariners. He reportedly is seeking a deal of at least four years.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss