Hot Stove: Rays extend Evan Longoria through at least 2022
|11.26.12 at 10:40 am ET|
The Rays announced in a press release that they have reached a six-year contract extension with third baseman Evan Longoria that will run through at least the 2022 season, with an option for 2023. He will be paid $100 million from 2017-22 under the extension. The deal includes Longoria’s original salary for the 2013 season while guaranteeing the three option years in his contract that encompass the 2014-16 seasons. As per the terms of the original deal, Longoria will earn $36 million from 2013-16, meaning he will receive $136 million over the next 10 seasons.
Longoria, 27, is a career .276 hitter with a .361 OBP and .516 slugging mark and has won two Gold Gloves in five big league seasons. The 2008 American League Rookie of the Year signed his original deal just days into his big league career at the start of the 2008 season, when he agreed to a six-year, $17.5 million deal that included the three team options.
He was limited to 74 games in 2012 due to a partially torn hamstring that ultimately required surgery this offseason (a procedure, according to the Rays, that won’t affect his availability for the start of spring training). In that limited time, he hit .289 with a .369 OBP, .527 slugging percentage and .896 OPS along with 17 homers. The No. 3 overall pick of the 2006 draft is now locked up through his age 36 season.
‘Evan has all of the attributes we seek in a player,’ Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said in the statement. ‘His determination and work ethic inspire others around him. He is devoted to his craft and strives to improve himself every year, and he defines success in terms of team performance and achievement. It’s exciting to know that Evan will be manning third base for the Rays for many years to come.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller