Hot Stove: James Loney leaves Red Sox for Rays
|12.03.12 at 10:44 am ET|
The James Loney era in Boston proved brief. The 28-year-old first baseman, whom the Red Sox acquired from the Dodgers as part of the August blockbuster deal between the two teams, reportedly agreed to a one-year, $2 million deal. Loney hit .230/.264/.310/.574 in 30 games with the Sox, and .249/.293/.336/.630 overall in 144 games between the Dodgers and Sox.
Still, Loney is a premium defensive first baseman (something on which the Rays place a premium) whose career offensive numbers (.282/.339/.419/.758) were suppressed somewhat by the fact that he played in a ballpark (Dodgers Stadium) that represents one of the least favorable hitting environments in the majors. The Rays will hope that Loney, once considered a top first-base prospect, might return at least to career norms, though with the hope that he does have some upside given that, in his first two years in the majors in 2006-07, the 2002 first-rounder hit .321/.372/.543/.915.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game