Hot Stove: James Loney leaves Red Sox for Rays
|12.03.12 at 10:44 am ET|
The James Loney era in Boston proved brief. The 28-year-old first baseman, whom the Red Sox acquired from the Dodgers as part of the August blockbuster deal between the two teams, reportedly agreed to a one-year, $2 million deal. Loney hit .230/.264/.310/.574 in 30 games with the Sox, and .249/.293/.336/.630 overall in 144 games between the Dodgers and Sox.
Still, Loney is a premium defensive first baseman (something on which the Rays place a premium) whose career offensive numbers (.282/.339/.419/.758) were suppressed somewhat by the fact that he played in a ballpark (Dodgers Stadium) that represents one of the least favorable hitting environments in the majors. The Rays will hope that Loney, once considered a top first-base prospect, might return at least to career norms, though with the hope that he does have some upside given that, in his first two years in the majors in 2006-07, the 2002 first-rounder hit .321/.372/.543/.915.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins