Seattle GM: ‘No idea’ that Red Sox so close on Mike Napoli
|12.03.12 at 11:41 am ET|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. ‘ Shortly after news that Mike Napoli had reached a three-year, $39 million agreement with the Red Sox, the general manager of one of the Sox’ chief competitors in the pursuit of the free agent, Jack Zduriencik of the Mariners, talked about missing out on the catcher/first baseman.
‘You never know,’ Zduriencik told WEEI.com at the Opryland Resort. ‘We had discussions with him, but at the end every player has to make their own decision, and I respect that. You never know if you’re close or not. You have good dialogue going, but in the end, who knows? At the end the player decides what he feels is best for him. Mike’s a great guy and it’s a good fit for Boston, so congrats.’
When asked he had any clue that Napoli was close to a deal with the Red Sox heading into the winter meetings, Zduriencik said, ‘I had no idea. None at all.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot