Red Sox winter meetings Day 1 roundup
|12.04.12 at 8:08 am ET|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Typically, the winter meetings offer no more than the illusion of meaningful activity. On Monday, however, the Red Sox had their most significant move of the offseason to date, one that addressed their most challenging area of need.
When the Sox traded Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers, they acknowledged that it would be difficult to identify a successor at first base. The free agent market promised to be extremely thin at that position (part of the motivation by the Dodgers to enact the blockbuster in the first place) and there were no obvious trade candidates for the position.
Still, the Red Sox had long had their eye on Mike Napoli given his robust history of offensive success at Fenway Park. His career .863 OPS — achieved largely while playing in an offense-suppressing environment in Anaheim — suggested that he had the combination of power and patience to provide a middle-of-the-order bat at first base. His appeal became even greater when the Rangers declined to make him a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer, thus meaning that unlike other potential free agent first basemen (Adam LaRoche, Nick Swisher), he wouldn’t cost a draft pick.
Thus was set in motion the Sox’ courtship of the 31-year-old, whom they landed on a three-year, $39 million deal on Monday.
Napoli continues an offseason in which the Sox have made considerable headway in restoring a meat-grinder of a lineup.
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington discussed Napoli’s fit for the Red Sox, along with how things stand with regards to the idea of upgrading over Jose Iglesias at shortstop, finding lineup balance, sacrificing a draft pick to sign a free agent and more. For the breakdown of his take on the first day of the meetings, click here.
RED SOX’ OUTFIELD PURSUIT
— The Sox seem comfortable taking a more deliberate approach to their need for a corner outfielder than they did at first base, given the relative wealth of options for the position. Nick Swisher and Shane Victorino appear to be the best fits among free agents, though there are other possibilities available via trade.
— Swisher might wait until after Josh Hamilton signs before defining his market.
— The Red Sox and Mets had “very preliminary” talks about knuckleballer R.A. Dickey, but sources suggested it’s very unlikely that the reigning NL Cy Young winner will join the Sox.
— Royals manager Ned Yost said that he can “absolutely” envision a scenario in which Kansas City traded a top prospect (or prospects) for a front-of-the-rotation pitcher. The Royals, of course, discussed the possibility of a trade that would send top prospect Wil Myers to the Red Sox for starter Jon Lester.
— The Sox are positioned very well to trade catchers, particularly once free agent A.J. Pierzynski signs.
— Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera has a six-team no-trade provision that includes the Red Sox, but the shortstop would be comfortable with the idea of going to the Sox.
OTHER ODDS AND ENDS
— Alex Rodriguez will miss a healthy chunk of the start of 2013, and the Yankees are now thrown into the market for a third baseman at a time when Derek Jeter (returning from a broken ankle) likewise carries some uncertainty.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016