Hot Stove: Kevin Youkilis has multiple contract offers
|12.05.12 at 10:51 am ET|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — With a market that is bereft of available third basemen, and given the fact that he can fit a team in search of a starter at either corner infield position and that he will not cost a draft pick to sign, Kevin Youkilis is attracting interest from a number of teams. According to multiple industry sources, he has multiple contract offers on the table.
The 33-year-old hit .235/.336/.409/.745 (all career lows) with 19 homers in 122 games in 2012. Still, he was a productive player with the White Sox after the Red Sox traded him for Brent Lillibridge and Zach Stewart (both of whom have been subsequently designated for assignment), with his marks of .236/.346/.425/.771 and his characteristic plate discipline helping to bolster Chicago at third base. He hit .275/.386/.492/.878 against lefties.
While Youkilis has been willing to discuss one- and multiyear deals with teams, for now, while the Yankees have a need at third base in the aftermath of revelations about hip surgery for Alex Rodriguez and while GM Brian Cashman has talked to the player’s representatives, as of yesterday, New York did not appear likely to pay prevailing market rate, even on a one-year deal.
UPDATE: Youkilis has multiple multi-year offers, according to an industry source. He still remains open to the possibility of a one-year deal with a premium average annual value, particularly for a team with legitimate championship aspirations such as the Yankees.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart continues to sizzle, Witte impresses for Sea Dogs
- Red Sox to recall Jackie Bradley Jr. from Pawtucket