Scott Boras: Jacoby Ellsbury is focused on playing in Boston
|12.05.12 at 7:44 pm ET|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Conducting his annual meeting with the media at the baseball winter meetings, agent Scott Boras echoed Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington’s assertion that, when it comes to Jacoby Ellsbury, both the player and the team is zeroed in on playing for the Red Sox in 2012.
‘I do what Jacoby Ellsbury tells me to do,’ Boras said Wednesday. ‘And I think Jacoby is at this point focused on playing in Boston and seeing where things go after this year. I’m sure Ben and I will be talking about his contract here in January, and until we’re told otherwise, that’s the focus of it.’
Ellsbury’s name has been surfaced throughout the halls of the Gaylord Resort and Hotel in trade rumors, although Cherington dismissed the notion of any impending deal when meeting with the local media.
When asked if the acquisition of a player like Shane Victorino ‘ whom can play center field ‘ was made to potentially protect in the case of an Ellsbury trade, Cherington said, ‘That’s not our intent. We’re expecting Jacoby to have a really good year in 2013 and be a huge part of what we’re doing.’
Boras also discussed another client who might be of interest to the Red Sox, free agent Stephen Drew.
The Sox have had discussions regarding the 29-year-old Drew, who struggled for much of ‘12 while playing for Arizona and Oakland. He is, however, a lefty hitter who is two years removed from turning in a ‘10 campaign in which he hit .278 with an .810 OPS and 15 home runs.
‘Ever-growing,’ Boras said when asked about Drew’s market. ‘I think he’s looked at as the shortstop in this market, so there are a number of clubs that have looked at him both for their current needs and for teams that may be making trades as well.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system