Scott Boras: Jacoby Ellsbury is focused on playing in Boston
|12.05.12 at 7:44 pm ET|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Conducting his annual meeting with the media at the baseball winter meetings, agent Scott Boras echoed Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington’s assertion that, when it comes to Jacoby Ellsbury, both the player and the team is zeroed in on playing for the Red Sox in 2012.
‘I do what Jacoby Ellsbury tells me to do,’ Boras said Wednesday. ‘And I think Jacoby is at this point focused on playing in Boston and seeing where things go after this year. I’m sure Ben and I will be talking about his contract here in January, and until we’re told otherwise, that’s the focus of it.’
Ellsbury’s name has been surfaced throughout the halls of the Gaylord Resort and Hotel in trade rumors, although Cherington dismissed the notion of any impending deal when meeting with the local media.
When asked if the acquisition of a player like Shane Victorino ‘ whom can play center field ‘ was made to potentially protect in the case of an Ellsbury trade, Cherington said, ‘That’s not our intent. We’re expecting Jacoby to have a really good year in 2013 and be a huge part of what we’re doing.’
Boras also discussed another client who might be of interest to the Red Sox, free agent Stephen Drew.
The Sox have had discussions regarding the 29-year-old Drew, who struggled for much of ‘12 while playing for Arizona and Oakland. He is, however, a lefty hitter who is two years removed from turning in a ‘10 campaign in which he hit .278 with an .810 OPS and 15 home runs.
‘Ever-growing,’ Boras said when asked about Drew’s market. ‘I think he’s looked at as the shortstop in this market, so there are a number of clubs that have looked at him both for their current needs and for teams that may be making trades as well.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise