Scott Boras: Jacoby Ellsbury is focused on playing in Boston
|12.05.12 at 7:44 pm ET|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Conducting his annual meeting with the media at the baseball winter meetings, agent Scott Boras echoed Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington’s assertion that, when it comes to Jacoby Ellsbury, both the player and the team is zeroed in on playing for the Red Sox in 2012.
‘I do what Jacoby Ellsbury tells me to do,’ Boras said Wednesday. ‘And I think Jacoby is at this point focused on playing in Boston and seeing where things go after this year. I’m sure Ben and I will be talking about his contract here in January, and until we’re told otherwise, that’s the focus of it.’
Ellsbury’s name has been surfaced throughout the halls of the Gaylord Resort and Hotel in trade rumors, although Cherington dismissed the notion of any impending deal when meeting with the local media.
When asked if the acquisition of a player like Shane Victorino ‘ whom can play center field ‘ was made to potentially protect in the case of an Ellsbury trade, Cherington said, ‘That’s not our intent. We’re expecting Jacoby to have a really good year in 2013 and be a huge part of what we’re doing.’
Boras also discussed another client who might be of interest to the Red Sox, free agent Stephen Drew.
The Sox have had discussions regarding the 29-year-old Drew, who struggled for much of ‘12 while playing for Arizona and Oakland. He is, however, a lefty hitter who is two years removed from turning in a ‘10 campaign in which he hit .278 with an .810 OPS and 15 home runs.
‘Ever-growing,’ Boras said when asked about Drew’s market. ‘I think he’s looked at as the shortstop in this market, so there are a number of clubs that have looked at him both for their current needs and for teams that may be making trades as well.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts