An update on CF trade market and Jacoby Ellsbury
|12.06.12 at 4:51 pm ET|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — For the second time in roughly a week, the Twins reshaped the market for center fielders. Days after trading Denard Span to the Nationals for a prospect, the team dealt Ben Revere — an excellent defensive outfielder who can hit for average, reach base at a respectable clip and makes up, to a degree, for his power deficiencies by stealing a ton of bases — to the Phillies for starter Vance Worley.
The move impacts the Sox indirectly. The Phillies were viewed as the most likely destination for free agent Michael Bourn, with Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury representing what multiple industry sources expected to be a fallback plan as a trade candidate. Revere not only takes the Phillies out of the market for Ellsbury, but also makes it less likely that another team might make an aggressive trade proposal for him, since Bourn remains on the market if there’s another team a) looking for a center fielder and b) would prefer to spend money rather than giving up big league starting pitching.
It is worth adding that, according to an industry source familiar with the team’s thinking, the Sox would only consider trading Ellsbury if doing so offered a meaningful way of addressing the team’s need for a quality big league starter in 2013. Thus far, while the Sox have received some interest in Ellsbury, offer(s) have been built around prospects rather than sufficient rotation help for 2013 to justify a deal.
That is in line with Sox GM Ben Cherington’s suggestion Wednesday that the team does not plan to trade Ellsbury prior to his final season under team control, before he reaches free agency.
“Our expectation is Jacoby will be here and will be our center fielder,” he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville