Hot Stove: Angels reach five-year agreement with Josh Hamilton
|12.13.12 at 2:44 pm ET|
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com (via twitter), the Angels have reached a five-year agreement with free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton.ESPNDallas.com reports that Hamilton will receive $125 million ($25 million per year).
Hamilton, the 2010 AL MVP, hit .285 with a .354 OBP, .577 slugging mark, .930 OPS and a career-high 43 homers for the Rangers in 2012. In his six-year big league career, the top overall pick in the 1999 draft has hit .304/.363/.549/.913 with 161 homers while averaging 123 games per year.
His AL West defection from the Rangers to the Angels represents an impactful shift for 2013, although with the Halos committing to Hamilton between ages 32-36, along with the remaining nine years on the contract of first baseman Albert Pujols, the Angels have committed considerable resources to a pair of players who are in the post-prime phases of their careers. Even so, the idea of a lineup loaded with Mike Trout, Hamilton, Pujols and Mike Trumbo will likely terrify plenty of opposing pitchers.
The Sox talked with Hamilton throughout the offseason, with GM Ben Cherington and manager John Farrell having met Hamilton and his agent, Mike Moye, during last week’s winter meetings in Nashville. However, the Sox’ tolerance for the risks of a deal of longer than a few years was always in question. For a look at the risks associated with commitments of more than three years with Hamilton, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft