Potential Red Sox 2013 draft pick: Indiana HS LHP/OF Trey Ball
|12.26.12 at 5:29 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Red Sox when it comes to the 2013 MLB draft. For the first time since 1993, the Red Sox have a top-10 selection and will be drafting seventh. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Red Sox to make a selection.
School: Newcastle (Ind.) High School
Born: June 27, 1994
Height/weight: 6-foot-6, 175 pounds
2013 class: Senior
Committed to: Texas
Achievements: 2012 All-Area Code Team, 2012 Baseball America High School All-America third team, 2012 ESPNHS High School All-America third team, 2012 Under Armour All-American, 2012 Perfect Game Underclass first team, 2012 ESPNHS Preseason All-State, 2012 All-North Central Conference, 2011 Perfect Game Underclass high honorable mention, 2011 Area Code Games, 2011 All-North Central Conference
What he brings: Scouts view Ball as a top-tier pitching talent. He has a very smooth and easy delivery to the plate. His fastball sits consistently in the 90-93 mph range while his changeup drops to the 78-80 mph range. Ball also has a developing slider that sits in the 80- 84 mph range. His delivery consists of a high leg kick and a three-quarter arm slot that is reminiscent of a left-handed version of Roger Clemens.
Offensively, Ball possesses a smooth swing with power potential. He hits well to the opposite field and runs the 60 in 6.67 seconds.
Notes: Ball is desirable because he is considered a two-way player. He is a pitcher who can both pitch and hit well. At this young stage in his development it is unknown if he will make the transition into being a major league pitcher or take a role in the field.
He is a very good runner. Scouts have been impressed with him and have taken note with how effortless he makes the game appear.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat