Potential Red Sox 2013 draft pick: Indiana HS LHP/OF Trey Ball
|12.26.12 at 5:29 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Red Sox when it comes to the 2013 MLB draft. For the first time since 1993, the Red Sox have a top-10 selection and will be drafting seventh. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Red Sox to make a selection.
School: Newcastle (Ind.) High School
Born: June 27, 1994
Height/weight: 6-foot-6, 175 pounds
2013 class: Senior
Committed to: Texas
Achievements: 2012 All-Area Code Team, 2012 Baseball America High School All-America third team, 2012 ESPNHS High School All-America third team, 2012 Under Armour All-American, 2012 Perfect Game Underclass first team, 2012 ESPNHS Preseason All-State, 2012 All-North Central Conference, 2011 Perfect Game Underclass high honorable mention, 2011 Area Code Games, 2011 All-North Central Conference
What he brings: Scouts view Ball as a top-tier pitching talent. He has a very smooth and easy delivery to the plate. His fastball sits consistently in the 90-93 mph range while his changeup drops to the 78-80 mph range. Ball also has a developing slider that sits in the 80- 84 mph range. His delivery consists of a high leg kick and a three-quarter arm slot that is reminiscent of a left-handed version of Roger Clemens.
Offensively, Ball possesses a smooth swing with power potential. He hits well to the opposite field and runs the 60 in 6.67 seconds.
Notes: Ball is desirable because he is considered a two-way player. He is a pitcher who can both pitch and hit well. At this young stage in his development it is unknown if he will make the transition into being a major league pitcher or take a role in the field.
He is a very good runner. Scouts have been impressed with him and have taken note with how effortless he makes the game appear.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016