Red Sox showed interest in Lance Berkman before his deal with Rangers
|01.05.13 at 4:51 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox showed interest in free agent first baseman Lance Berkman prior to the 36-year-old agreeing to what has been reported as a one-year deal worth $10 million (with incentives).
The negotiations never gained momentum, however, due to Berkman’s geographical preferences. The 14-year major league veteran hails from Texas, spending all but two seasons of his big league career playing for Houston.
Berkman would have been a fit for the Red Sox, either as a backup plan if Mike Napoli’s contract issues can’t be resolved, or as a switch-hitting option both at first base and in the outfield.
Berkman last played for the Cardinals in 2012, totaling 32 games before left calf and right knee injuries ended his season. He hit .301 with 31 home runs and a .959 OPS for St. Louis in ’11.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven