Dustin Pedroia won’t be playing in World Baseball Classic this time around
|01.15.13 at 12:37 pm ET|
Dustin Pedroia confirmed to WEEI.com Tuesday afternoon that he will not be participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. The Red Sox expressed concern to Team USA about the second baseman joining the team due to his recovering from injuries to his fingers (break, torn ligament).
Pedroia was part of Team USA in 2009 before straining his oblique muscle while doing flip drills before a game in Miami. (The infielder chronicled his WBC experience in a series of blogs for WEEI.com, which can be viewed by clicking here.)
Sources have confirmed that Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino has agreed to play for Team USA, having told WEEI.com during his introductory press conference that he was awaiting approval from his new team. Victorino was also a member of the ’09 team.
Major League Baseball is set to announce the WBC rosters Thursday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins